Three Last Minute Questions Before Buying 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by printer710, Aug 3, 2008.

1. printer710 macrumors member

Ok, so i'm about 90% ready to buy the 3g and i have three questions. First off White or Black? Can someone list the pros and cons of each and their personal choice. Second, does sending an sms message from the AIM app count as data sent, or text messages. Finally is 8gb enough memory or is it safer to go with the 16gb. Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Personal choice.
    2. Data.
    3. Personal choice.

3. printer710 thread starter macrumors member

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

1. I prefer black myself but white shows less fingerprints.

2. I think it's data but not totally sure on that one.

3. If you have the money go with the 16GB. You never know how much you will use the iPod portion of the iPhone.

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I prefer black, but wouldn't suggest it is inherently better than white. Just personal opinion.

It's data.

Depends on how you use it. Nothing inherently wrong with 8GB (unless you want a white, as they are only available with 16GB), but if you plan on having a lot of audio, video and apps the 16GB might spare you a few headaches. For how I use mine, 16GB for an extra $100 is a no-brainer yes, but personal choice is really all it comes down to.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

1. i bought black, dont like the white, but i could see people liking it
    2. data, its totally free (as long as you have a data plan)
    3. i had the 8gb 1st gen, and bought the 16gb. if you have the money, get the 16gb

7. aneftp macrumors 601

2. Data (for AIM app)...I think this is sorta correct. I believe you have to hit +1 (area code) 123-4567 for it to count as data, or else ATT will count it as SMS.

I usually do not bother cause I am on family unlimited SMS plan.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

ditto

9. printer710 thread starter macrumors member

I want mine to look extremely pristine so i think i'll go white, but what about this 1+ area code thing is that true?

10. markgamber macrumors 6502

1) I was at AT&T monday and they were saying 4-5 days for a white one, 21 days for a black one. Don't know or care why, that's just what they were saying. I went with white because I don't really care and it's still black in it's rubber case.

2) No idea.

3) I was there monday to exchange my 8gb for a 16gb. I could probably have gotten away with an 8gb but I had the extra coin and figured, since I don't have an iPod, better safe than sorry. My wife and son have BIG iPods and are perfectly happy with their 8gb phones.

11. printer710 thread starter macrumors member

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

to send the text, follow:

13. aneftp macrumors 601

Actually let me clarify this.

1. If you are using AIM to instant messenger another Aol user, than this counts as data. So if you were to AIM instant message another AIM user on the iphone (with their app running) or a regular desktop/laptop aol program, than this counts as data.

2. However, if you were to "text" to a regular phone than if will count as a text message, unless you do the +1 (area code) 123-4567 trick
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this point.

14. bstpierre macrumors 6502

1. Black shows finger prints, white shows cracks. Pick your poison.

2. AIM uses data.

3. I had a 8GB original iPhone and was using 7 GB and watching what I put on it. Now I havea 16 GB and have more stuff on it but like that it has a lot of free space still.

15. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

1. Black shows finger prints. Then again whites have been found to have a chance of cracking. I picked black.

2. AIM uses data. (Just so you know though, even if you never were big into texting, I recommend at least some form of plan with more than 500 texts, cause you will use them... If youve never had an iphone or a similar phone, you dont know how obvious it becomes to text as opposed to talk to your annoying family, associates, friends etc.)

3. it really depends on two things. First, do you need to carry around more than a few feature length movies... if so then you need the 16gig. The other is , do you use playlists, and update them regularly, or do like carrying most of your music collection with you. People who dont mind playing around with syncing playlists and updating them will be fine with the 8gig. (Just so you know, most apps take up very little space, so thats not much of a factor.)

16. myemaildw macrumors regular

17. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

1. Black
    2. Data
    3. 8 GB is plenty for me, but my music collection = 1.4 GB

18. The General macrumors 601

There is nothing you can do in AIM that will charge YOU for an SMS message unless you instant message your own phone number which would be pointless. And even then, I don't know if AT&T charges for incoming text messages.

19. The General macrumors 601

Incorrect. Stop trying to confuse people.

20. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

1. white.
    2. data. if you text someone else's phone from AIM it will cost the, an SMS, but not you.
    3. well if you go white you have no choice. (16)

21. aneftp macrumors 601

I'm not trying to confuse people. I'm actually a little confused myself on this matter. I have the unlimited family text plan but I'm interest in AIM also. I know on regular ATT phones, when using the AIM client it uses text messaging.

But on the iPhone AIM app, it uses data like most people on this board are saying?

I went to the Apple discussion board and one guys says this,

"Correct - only when using the iPhone's SMS application does it go against your SMS allowance."

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7626785&#7626785