Three macbook (pro)'s I can buy - which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ceja3, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ceja3 macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I'm currently a PC user and thinking of buying my first Mac. There are three different Mac laptops that I'm considering. And I'm stuck because they all have their pro's and cons. Could you give me your thoughts on the following macbooks/macbook pro, and tell me which one you think I should buy and why?
    Thanks!

Old Macbook Pro (previous model before the new one came out): $1400 / 5.4" screen / 2.4GHz / 2GB Ram / 200GB HDD
    New Macbook Aluminum: $1250 / 13.3" screen / 2.0 GHz / 1GB Ram / 160GB HDD
    Old Macbook White: $900 / 13.3" screen / 2.4 GHz / 2GB Ram/ 160 GB HDD

I should add that the prices are approximate and without tax. And the Macbook Pro and White Macbook are on sale in my university, that's why they're cheaper! And sorry for not adding the name of the model, I don't know it! :)

2. ant-macyourself macrumors member

Choosing the right model is really only something you can decide for yourself... there isn't any right or wrong choice. With that said, could you provide a little more information about what you will be using the laptop for? Do you think you'll want more screen real estate (15") or are you more concerned with portability (13")?

3. T-Stex macrumors 6502

There's really no right or wrong answer here - it all depends what you're using the computer for. If you're at college and not doing anything really intense (video editing, computer modeling, heavy gaming, etc.) any of those will meet your needs. Then you've got the screen size to decide on. I personally like the smaller screen size due to portability, but you might feel differently. You could always pick up an external monitor for the difference in price, which is what I did while at college.

Personally, I'd go with the new aluminum MacBook. I'm admittedly a little biased, since I just picked one up this afternoon, but I've got to say it's the most solid laptop (Apple or otherwise) I've ever used. In the short time I've had it, it's made me forget about the 12" PowerBook I sold here, which I've missed ever since.

4. ceja3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks T-Stex and ant-macyourself!
    I'm a college student, so I won't be doing video editing or heavy gaming. I won't use all the potential of a Macbook Pro. And I do like the portability of the Aluminum Macbook.

However, there are two things that concern me; First, the Macbook Pro/Macbook Aliminum price difference is not very big, and the difference in performance is, so the Pro seems like a better deal. Second, I'm currently using a 15" screen, and I'm afraid that I'll find the 13" too small. Or is that just a matter of getting used to?

T-Stex, did you get the low or high-end Macbook aluminum? I'm thinking of getting the low-end one, or would the extra money be worth it?
    And how is the sound quality/loudness on your Macbook?

5. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Go to your local store and play about with the two models.

Take your time, and see which screen size is the most comfortable for you. And then make your choice.

Screen size is a very personal choice - what works for one doesn't for another, as a result there is no definative global advice we can give.

Personally, for you - the MacBook Pro, if you don't see much in the price difference, would be the way to go.

However, the two are practically the same for your usage requirments and you won't be upset at all all with the new MB.

6. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I went with the higher-end MacBook (mostly because I wasn't paying for most of it). I'd say the lower-spec MacBook would be fine for college use. As far as the sound quality goes, It's better than the last MacBook, but it's still a laptop.