Three monitors iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uplusd, Jan 19, 2009.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Will the Matrox DualHead2Go be the appropriate product for this setup:

I want to attach two external monitors to my iMac.. One on each side of the iMac. I'm pretty sure that DualHead2Go would work for that but just want to confirm before purchasing. Also, since the DualHead2Go makes the computer think that only one monitor is attached, will I not be able to set the display preferences to properly reflect the monitor positioning (i.e. one external monitor on the left and one external monitor on the right)?

Thanks in advance.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i dont see why it wouldnt work, the GPU should be able to handle it. never had one but it would be awsome!

3. ADent macrumors 6502a

It should work, but I am not sure you can put the iMac's screen in the middle.

Does Matrox Dual Head 'fool' the iMac into supporting two external monitors by making the iMac think it is one big monitor? If so, the internal screen can't be located in the middle of the two external.

If the Matrox has extensions and support for the OS so that each screen shows up, it should work fine.

There are some USB monitor adapters (performance is kinda week, but fine for palettes and such) that could add a third monitor.

4. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

They have this software for Mac. However, I'm still not sure it can arrange the monitors the way I want.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/multi_display_software/mac_powerdesk/

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

6. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

I e-mailed them so that I could get an official response. Here is what they had to say for anyone that is wondering:

7. kid rock macrumors regular

Just buy one big screen and put it on the side you want, much easier

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that would seem the likely option.

9. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Wait until the new iMacs come out with displayport, that will support two monitors from the one plug.