Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uplusd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Silicon Valley
Will the Matrox DualHead2Go be the appropriate product for this setup:

I want to attach two external monitors to my iMac.. One on each side of the iMac. I'm pretty sure that DualHead2Go would work for that but just want to confirm before purchasing. Also, since the DualHead2Go makes the computer think that only one monitor is attached, will I not be able to set the display preferences to properly reflect the monitor positioning (i.e. one external monitor on the left and one external monitor on the right)?

Thanks in advance.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
It should work, but I am not sure you can put the iMac's screen in the middle.

Does Matrox Dual Head 'fool' the iMac into supporting two external monitors by making the iMac think it is one big monitor? If so, the internal screen can't be located in the middle of the two external.

If the Matrox has extensions and support for the OS so that each screen shows up, it should work fine.

There are some USB monitor adapters (performance is kinda week, but fine for palettes and such) that could add a third monitor.

uplusd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Silicon Valley
It should work, but I am not sure you can put the iMac's screen in the middle.

Does Matrox Dual Head 'fool' the iMac into supporting two external monitors by making the iMac think it is one big monitor? If so, the internal screen can't be located in the middle of the two external.

If the Matrox has extensions and support for the OS so that each screen shows up, it should work fine.

There are some USB monitor adapters (performance is kinda week, but fine for palettes and such) that could add a third monitor.

They have this software for Mac. However, I'm still not sure it can arrange the monitors the way I want.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/multi_display_software/mac_powerdesk/

uplusd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Silicon Valley
I e-mailed them so that I could get an official response. Here is what they had to say for anyone that is wondering:

Thank you for contacting Matrox.

Since our module is recognized by your system as one ultra-widescreen display, positioning your system’s integrated screen between the two external monitors would result in mis-scrolling when trying to move the mouse across the displays: for this reason, our device supports positioning the system to the right or the left of the set of monitors running off our module.

Please click here and scroll down to verify your system’s compatibility.

Thank you again for your inquiry. Please let me know if you require any further information.

TrapOx

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Denver
Wait until the new iMacs come out with displayport, that will support two monitors from the one plug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.