Three or Giffgaff for the IPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone3gs, Oct 8, 2011.

?

Three or giffgaff on the iPhone

1. Three

46.2%
  2. Giffgaff

53.8%
  1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Three or Giffgaff for the IPhone!

Three offer unlimited all you can eat data with tethering.

Giffgaff only offer unlimited data for browsing NO Unlimited tethering.

Tethering means sharing the Internet connection of an Internet-capable mobile phone with other devices. This sharing can be offered over a wireless LAN (Wi-Fi), or over Bluetooth, or by physical connection using a cable. In the case of tethering over wireless LAN, the feature may be branded as a mobile hotspot. The Internet-connected mobile phone acts as a portable router when providing tethering services to others.

2. spooky69 macrumors member

Your tireless promotion of Three is getting a bit tiresome...

3. ThetaSigma macrumors regular

GiffGaff for me! £10 for 250 minutes/unlimited text and internet.

4. GreyMatta macrumors regular

+2

me and the wife both giffgaff £10 goodybaggers :D

5. ckc macrumors regular

Unless you live under a Three mast the service is bloody useless.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

But you see, if you literally do have a 3 mast at the end of your street... *coughmecough*

:D

Seriously though, I've never had a problem with 3 signal (on par/slightly better than O2 IMO) and unlimited data is great.

7. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

Quidco are also giving £109 cash back on the one plan on three network

8. scootaru macrumors 6502

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

It depends. I mean Giffgaff is a lot cheaper too so you have to keep that in mind...

10. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

Giffgass does NOT have unlimited tethering.

THREE has unlimited tethering which you can connect upto 5 devices using iPhone hotspot.

11. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Love this goodybag. Giffgaff all the way. And new databags are coming out so you CAN tether if you want!

12. Nic10 macrumors newbie

It doesn't look like databags are for phones though. Only dongles and tablets.

13. tiiim macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I been on both O2 (what GiffGaff is powered by) and Three. I can say Three's 3G coverage is far superior to the O2 network. If you live in a city you prob be ok but anywhere else 3 simply wins hands down for 3G signal.

14. JamesHP macrumors 6502

My experience with Three customer service has only ever been appalling.

As soon as my iPhone 4 contract with Vodafone runs out (skipping the 4S, waiting for the 6th gen) I'm going to go with Giffgaff, and get the next iPhone SIM Free when it comes out.

15. tiiim macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

3 customer services does have much to be desired it's true. But there shops are fine, twitter team is great and if you get hold of the Scottish call centre number they're fine as well.

16. iphoneipad, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

iphoneipad macrumors member

You can still use tethering with giffgaff but need to be careful.

I used it in my Mifi for about 4 months, using about 50-60GB per month. They only noticed it after 4 months. So if you are not a heavy tethering user, you should be able to get away with it.

Another good thing about giffgaff is, they have a good referral system. If you refer a friend and your friend actually activated the sim card, you will get something like £5 back.

Three offer unlimited tethering. To avoid their customer service, just go for the £15/month All you can eat data PAYG option. That way you can switch to another provider anytime you want if you are not satisfy with them.

Make sure you order the 3 PAYG simcard by going through quidco/topcashback. That way you can earn about £10 cashback.

Edit: sorry i should have mentioned this. When you put giffgaff simcard inside your iphone, the option of wireless hotspot will dissapear. It seems they block it. Not sure about other tethering option. It was fine using Android phone though.

17. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I just ordered the 3 600 sim only plan for £15, 12 month contract.

Currently on tesco (o2). I was debating whether to go on a 12 month tesco contract at £35/month with £270 iphone 4s (assuming prices are the same as last year), but then saw quidco doing £81.22 cashback for that 3 tariff so i went with it. Prices of doing £15/month + £499 for sim free is the same as the 12 month tesco deal. This way, I get a sim free iphone, unlimited tethering AND £81.22 cash back. Ordered sim last night, quidco already tracked. Iphone being delivered 14th...happy days!

18. iphoneipad macrumors member

but that's not unlimited data. it is showing 1gb on three website. ;)

19. ADMProducer macrumors regular

I've just moved to Three from previously being contracted to O2 for 12 months and then GiffGaff for 4 months after that.

O2 signal is simply horrendous. With Three, I have already noticed significant signal increase and 3G service to boot.

20. noshjewman macrumors member

As ever, it all depends on where you are. I live in a village just outside Cambridge, and all around here the 3 signal is atrocious. Orange is just about passable, but O2 is the only way to get consistent service. I know that this is true in other villages around here too.

I really wanted to switch to 3, but after trying their PAYG sim for a week, realized it was impossible.

21. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Just been off the phone with 3 and finally got my PAC code to move my number over to giffgaff. Was on hold for just over 30mins before finally getting through to someone and then it took another 30-40 mins to twist their arm for the PAC code itself. Very painful indeed!

I've been with 3 for a number of years now, and yes they do have black spots in more coastal and less urban areas but they all do and some more than others. I'm going giffgaff to bring down the iPhone's TCO and also because the vast majority of times I'm in more urban areas with easy wifi availability etc., so black spots don't worry me as much. However, sometimes being in a black spot is quite refreshing. :)

For anyone thinking of going giffgaff, go through their forums before setting expectations.

22. bigjobby, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

bigjobby macrumors 65816

Not entirely true. You forgot to mention the caveats. See here.

If you're willing to pay for it. :p

23. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

Strange it states it's not compatible with pay ad you go plans.

But it's working on my pay as you go.

Anyone on three have problem tethering?

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am with you. I never heard of either:eek:

I guess they get tired of hearing about AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile, too!

25. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

A lot of people posting new threads about three

Please search before opening new threads

Thanks