Three partition BootCamp setup, and WinClone help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mooseeeeey, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Mooseeeeey, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Mooseeeeey macrumors newbie

EDIT: Didn't see the Bootcamp subforum. Anyone who can move it please do.

Three partition BootCamp:
    I want to have my macbook Pro setup to have 80GB for each OS X and Windows, as well as the rest of it being Data partition as NTFS. Can anyone tell me or show me a tutorial on how to do this? I have no data to lose at the moment (more on that in a second) so can reformat however needed.

WinClone:
    I had a successful Windows Xp partition dual boot and backed up that using Winclone before I tried for about a week now to try the above problem. However, the partition i backed up had about 200GB in it, with only 17GB of actual Data. I backed up with WinClone, and have it stored currently on my mac partition. However when I try and restore it to the smaller windows partition now, it says I can't, saying I need 200GB. Anyway of editing or fixing it without corrupting data on the image?

2. jdoelger macrumors newbie

I was going to suggest restoring your image to a 200gb partition, then using window's utilities to resize the partition to 25gb or so... but then realized you are using windows xp and don't have the native resize tools that windows 7 has. I'm not sure what to suggest.

Perhaps restore the 200gb image, and use a gparted livecd to resize the bootcamp partition. If you aren't risking data, I'd give that a shot.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

3. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I used Gparted to shrink my win7 partition from 70GB to 50GB and it killed windows. I had to delete the bootcamp partition and reinstall windows.

4. jdoelger macrumors newbie

That really isn't too surprising. I've had it work in some cases with windows xp, but it's def. hit and miss. He might get lucky because it's xp and not 7, with 7 I'm pretty sure you can just shrink in the OS - same as you can in OSX.

5. Mooseeeeey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya,I also had issues with Gparted (The generic video driver included seems to crash, its called something like nouvea) I think until I can find a relatively definitive, and hopefully not to involved, way of doing this I'm just going to keep with regular old bootcamp. I don't have an external HD right now to back stuff up to, so I'm just going to wait until I can get things figured out. however,if anyone wants to keep up discussion for what i can do please do so :eek:

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Disk Utility.

7. Mooseeeeey thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried making three partitions in bootcamp, but when I install XP, after the initial DOS lookin instal part, it reboots and says something like "Can't find system file hal.dll. Please reinstall."

8. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

9. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I have 3 partitions on my HDD:

I have MAcDrive on the Win7 so I can read and write between each OS. Been working great so far.

[​IMG]