Three Photos Libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mdwsta4, Aug 11, 2015.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

Today I was trying to clean up some photos and when the app forced quit and reopened, the Photos app had to rebuild itself. When it did, it opened a library from March. This freaked me out as I thought I lost a few months worth of edited images. While I had a backup from a few weeks ago it was not updated since.

My question is, why are there THREE photo libraries?! I know when Photos first came out everyone was making a big deal about having both iPhoto and Photos libraries, but apparently that's fine. But why do I have 2 Photos libraries? And how could the library open from such an old version? I don't keep any backups on my main machine, so I'm not sure where it was getting this information. If anything, it's wasting a ton of usable space!!

[​IMG]

Any help?

2. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nearly 400 views and no one has any input as to why there are three photo libraries showing up!?!?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

One is an iPhoto library, not a Photos library.

One is the one you had, and apparently you created another when you rebuilt a library or did something else. It's like another application creating a second file. You can have an infinite number of Photos libraries. The problem will be figuring out which one has all your photos, but once you do that, it looks like the other would be a duplicate and not necessary.

4. kitsap2 macrumors newbie

kitsap2

I see two "Photos" libraries, and one, "iPhoto" library. I've seen this on my computer, too. I looked inside each library and discovered something, just can't recall what it was, exactly. Anyway, I ended up discarding one, or the other, and only have the correct library now. (This occurred in, Aperture, not, iPhoto or, Photos.)