Three smaller vs two large monitor displays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Just1nCase, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Just1nCase macrumors member

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting a matrox Triplehead2go for my MacBook Pro (2,2) in order for to run multiple external displays (similar to this guy's setup: http://www.gizmag.com/go/7985/ ). However, I am having trouble deciding whether I should go with x3 19" displays with 1280x1024 resolution or x2 22" widescreen displays with 1680x1050 resolution. The good thing regarding the 19" display is the immersive qualities, but all the screens are 4:3 ratio. Also, the 22" displays have a much better resolution and is widescreen, but I would only be able to run 2 displays via matrox Triplehead2go.

Currently, I am using my monitor intensively with Graphic Design applications (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator) and I do occasion gaming.

Let me know what you think. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is also a list of available resolutions for the matrox box:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/resolution/digital/resolutions.html

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Well I'm not a real monitor expert but do you want the screen higher, or wider? If you want to have 3 apps/wider space then you should go with the 3 screens then.

3. ymarker macrumors member

For graphics work, I'd want to buy the largest monitor I could afford, unless you're ok with editing portions of the pic on various monitors.

I'd get Dell 3008wfp 30" 2560x1600 or if you can stand the glossy 2 refurb acd (or the new Dell) 24" 1920x1200

4. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Like the above poster said, definitely get the largest monitor you can get. I love my 30" ACD, with my 15" mbp screen on the side, and would choose that over two 24" screens. So if I were you I'd rather get two 22", with three screens you'll probably strain your neck from turning your head. Plus, controlling your cursor and dragging windows over three screens is just no fun.

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

If it's for graphic design working mainly with one application, I would say 2.

But if you use many apps -like developers do- definitely 3.

6. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your feedback. Based on how I'm using it, I think I'll get the two large dual displays. The reason I'm getting two large dual displays than just one huge display is the ability to sort my window panels across the displays instead of layering my windows panels on just one monitor.

Any suggestions in terms of monitor brands? Apple monitors tend to be really expensive so I'm currently have my eyes on these Acer monitors from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009157

What do you think?

7. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

not an expert but feel like two are better since there would be less "frame" between pictures....in fact, i don't really understand why people need more than one monitor:confused:

8. tooz macrumors 6502

multi-tasking :)

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

3 smaller ones? why? I say nay nay! no point and would just take more power! get your self 2 good sized displays.

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

11. JCP21 macrumors member

12. mmulin macrumors 6502

Well, there are a lot of reasonable monitors out there these days. As for myself, I stick with EIZO since I need the colour accuracy. NEC is the other alternative I would consider if being pressed to. Also, stay away from dynamic background lighting on monitors which is often used to achieve "incredibly" high contrast ratios (I am not looking at you Samsung).

In the end it boils down what you value in a monitor. Btw, even if you go 22" look for full HD ones. You won't regret it.

13. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

for graphic work, i would say 2, but i love having 3... one has safari on all day, one has itunes and the other has whatever im doing at the moment... good times [​IMG]

14. JCP21 macrumors member

15. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Two, I find, is useful.

Three and I'd lose my stuff :D