Three Specific Connectivity Questions Re: iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macadociousone, Jun 1, 2010.

1. macadociousone macrumors newbie

OK, I really tried searching the forum before having to post my questions, but after 15 minutes, I thought I'd post. Perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms, but nonetheless:

1) I have a Logitech iPod dock speaker system that I've used for a couple of years with an old iPod. I recently tried using my iPhone on it but the iPhone popped up a message saying that it was not compatible but that I could put it into airplane mode. If I were to put it into airplane mode and use it, is there any risk of damage? Also, why would these dock systems not be compatible with an iPhone when they have the same dock connector?

2) I have a dock connector to 3.5mm cable that I've used with my old iPod in my car with a 3.5mm input. I can't seem to be able to use my iPhone with this cable. When I play music on the iPhone, the music comes out of the iPhone's speakers. Any workarounds here? Why on earth would this cable not work on an iPhone?

3) Since I can't seem to get the cable to work (see #2 above), I've been using a standard 3.5mm cable from the headphone port on the iPhone to my car stereo's 3.5mm input. Is it best to increase the iPhone's volume as high as possible and then manipulate the music's volume with the car stero's volume, or should I keep the iPhone's volume at mid-level, and use the car steros's volume? Or is it a balancing act all together?

Thoughts?

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You can use it fine in Airplane mode. What is happening is the accessory is not shielded against the cellular radio. Otherwise you would hear the "dit dit dit dit" while not in Airplane mode. Compatible accessories are shielded accordingly, that's why they are not compatible even tho they have the same dock connector.

Because it's not meant to work with the iPhone. The connection has the same pins but the logic board might be putting out the audio signal on a different pin than what the old iPod did.

Either or. I usually keep it almost at max, then use the car stereo from there, to cut down on distortion. :)