Three Uk - 3G, Edge, ..?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by faffoo, Jul 16, 2010.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I have just got the iPhone 4 on three uk on the £30 a month option. I have heard online and in store that If you have no 3G coverage, you get no data at all.
    If this is true, then why do I get a circle next to 3 on iPhone signal bar area sometimes. And I even get E sometimes.

My questions:
    are all of these symbols showing the same signals from three?
    If three do not have a GPRS signal, what am I getting when the circle shows?
    Am I being charged extra for the other connection types (GPRS, 3G)

Apart from this,
    Three are amazing and the free tethering is great!
    Best regards
    Faffoo

2. sorchard macrumors regular

You can still browse the internet on GPRS/EDGE at no extra charge - they use the Orange network for that so GSM coverage and EDGE availability is the same as Orange customers experience.

Some people get confused because (on some phones - I don't have an iPhone so I don't know about it) the way that 3 has implemented GSM roaming means that it might warn you about roaming charges or turn off data entirely until you turn it on yourself, because it thinks you are abroad and might be charged. But you won't.

3. vitaminz macrumors member

Up til a few days ago I couldn't browse on EDGE or GPRS either, seems like I can now so that's great. No extra charges at all (used it before on my old Nokia phone).

And yeah, Three are awesome :)

4. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

That was fast!

So why do Three tell you that you can not do that?

Thats great though?
    Another thing I noticed. I drove along one road and the signal i was getting was GPRS. I then came back in the opposite direction along that exact same stretch of road and it was 3G. Weird!

I love three and I especially love how they are offering some sensible pricing!!

5. sorchard macrumors regular

Do what? They completely allow you to use the internet on your phone on GPRS and always have. If I go to the 3 mobile site (http://mobile.three.co.uk) on my non-iPhone it tells me not to worry about data roaming charges and that all is well.

I'm not sure why you have tethering enabled, as 3 generally don't allow that and I believe the operator can turn it on and off with the iPhone.

6. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

When i spoke to them in store they said:
    And tethering has always been a feature that three provide free with iPhone contracts

7. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Also guys,

When i use GPS, does that come out of my data allowance?
    best regards
    faffoo

8. sorchard macrumors regular

Anything that uses the internet (such as Maps, which I believe downloads mapping images and data) will come out of your data allowance.

As for tethering, it must be a new change. They've never explicitly allowed it on any other phone that they sell. I wonder if that will change, since they don't have iPhone-only plans - they are the same plans that you can get SIM-only or with other phones.

9. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ye. But does the actuall locating of the device use data or is it seperate?

10. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

i believe that up until very recently, if you didn't have 3G reception, you couldn't use data and only use Voice and Texts on GPRS. Apparently this has changed, since they had so many complaints. I think there is something about it on the 3g.co.uk forums about it that I saw mentioned on a forum I visit.

11. sorchard macrumors regular

If the iPhone uses A-GPS, then yes. But the amount of data is probably so tiny as to be not worth measuring.

12. sorchard macrumors regular

I've been on 3 for years and I've been able to do data on GPRS. I heard that they stopped broadband dongles from being able to access Orange's network though.