Three UK blocking 2G data on SIMs placed into iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cloudane, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

For a while I've been happily using a 3pay SIM in my 3GS and whenever going out of 3 coverage and into Orange backup network, it's continued to connect to GPRS or EDGE.

That includes when I carved the SIM into a MicroSIM and placed it into a SIM adaptor (in preparation), it continued to work fine in the 3GS.

Placed it into the new iPhone4 and activated the phone yesterday, ever since then it won't connect to data when on 2G - no GPRS (dot) or EDGE (E) symbol, whether choosing Orange (3 without the "(3G)") from the Carrier list or falling into a 2G area and having it fall onto Orange automatically.

Take SIM out of iPhone4 place it into any other 3 compatible phone, 3G works, 2G is voice/text only, no data.

Found a spare 3 SIM I had and carved that up and placed that in - 2G data works. Not sure how long for.

Only explanation I can think of is that when activating the iPhone4 it phoned home to 3 and for whatever policy reasons it barred my account from accessing data over 2G.

My dad's is the same.

Not happy. 3 customer services, as per, haven't got a clue. Anyone else having this (or not) or have any inside info on what's going on?

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

I haven't been out of 3G coverage, but selecting the non-3G 3 carrier option to force roaming results in 5 bars but no data connection, no GPRS or EDGE symbol, no access to the Internet. I don't have any non-i phones to test with.

I also note that 3's website refers to 99% population coverage for voice and text, but makes no mention of data.

It's a shame as I get great 3G coverage with 3 (even good enough to defeat the iPhone 4 antenna troubles) but I'm not sure I can live with no 2G data fallback.

3. Cloudane thread starter macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Thanks for the feedback. Not looking good, I'll have to reconsider networks if they're blocking 2G data (glad I got SIM-free).

Just so we have an idea - also for anyone else posting -
    • Did you do the iTunes activation with the SIM in or did you activate it with a different one first
    • 3pay or contract?

I'll consider sticking with 3 by switching to their 1 month contract IF it means they re-enable 2G data. It might be that on 3pay we're not profitable enough to justify the 2G fallback.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

Just an FYI, this came up on the iPad forum last week i believe, and "they" were saying that 3 doesn't allow edge for it's broadband only devices (so the iPad won't fall back to edge either). So perhaps it has something to do with the way the iPhone is identifying itself?

I'll go back to lurking (non-iphone owner in the US no less! LOL!!), but you might find someone over in that forum/thread that can help you with some info!

5. smartpeter macrumors newbie

I'm on Orange contract
    I cut TWO on PAYG SIMs (2G of O2 and Orange UK) to get micro SIM version
    iPhone 4 did not recognise either of them

I followed instruction on web

Now I don't dare to cut my woring 3G Orange SIM

My iPhone 4 is paper weight now

:-(

[​IMG]

6. peterjcat macrumors 6502

I did the iTunes activation with an O2 SIM, but then reconnected with the 3 SIM installed and got the automatic Carrier Update. I'm using PAYG so not sure about the Contract situation -- I actually just got the PAYG so I could test the 3 coverage around here before ditching O2. Still not decided.

7. vitaminz macrumors member

@Cloudane

I have the same issue as you, and I've actually had this issue since my iPhone 3G last year. My old Nokia used to do allow me, but both of my iPhone's don't let me.

It doesn't bother me much - 99% of the time I've got 3G signal, but I'll probably contact them about it soon. I'm on a contract with them btw.

@smartpeter

That's strange - I was really sloppy cutting my SIM, and it wasn't the exact size for the tray (little too small I believe) and it still worked. Same with a friend of mines cutting his T-Mobile SIM.

8. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

9. telco*engineer macrumors member

10. Hexxeh macrumors member

Same deal on the iPad, I use mine as a WiFi hotspot using MyWi because it's easy to just keep in my bag and the battery just lasts forever (I can leave it enabled in my bag for a couple days without the battery dying, lasts a week if I'm careful and turn it off when not needed/overnight). However, when I lose 3G coverage it just stops working until it gets 3G again. This is a PAYG SIM with the internet add-on.

11. Voidity macrumors newbie

Voidity

Hey all, I'm having the exact same problem. Have been using three sim in iPhone 3G with no problem. As soon as I cut down and used in iPhone 4 lost the ability to connect to 2g data when no 3G signal available. Would be very interested to fond a solution to this as I sometimes loose 3G at work and need to roam on 2g, Grrrr damn three!!

12. smartpeter macrumors newbie

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I wonder if it's simply a case of the access point that the Phone is using?

Mobile Broadband/iPad users are on one APN while people with a phone should be using another.

14. Voidity macrumors newbie

Voidity

I have just looked at the new three carrier file. It sets the apn to three.co.uk. Then removes the option to change it from the phone. So three.co.uk should be ok and be able to use 2g data but not the case for me.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have you thought three might be blocking 2g as they do not have a 2g backbone like everyone else.

16. danb77 macrumors 6502

3 used to block data over 2g. They certainly did 4 years ago.

My experience with 3 was so bad I'll never go back...

17. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

18. Cloudane thread starter macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Nah, it's the same when the SIM is adapted back up to full size and put into an official 3 handset. They've disabled it for the account. Same with the official MicroSIM I just received to replace it.

This is the most likely. With everyone being so data hungry these days, it'll be costing them a fair bit with Orange. Even still whichever way you look at it, they need to find some way to come to a better agreement as the 3G is just not there once you get out of town and off the motorways. If they're thinking of axing 2G altogether it's way premature IMO.

They've always allowed 2G data from day 1 - I've used it many many times over the years. A while ago you could only access their walled garden (even on 3G) and when you went into a 2G area you got a cut-down version of it where you could browse certain things but not see videos. When they finally opened up the internet, this actually continued to be the case with their portal but you could access any other website over 2G (right up to the 24th of June, I saw it with my own eyes).

19. telco*engineer macrumors member

20. motrevilo macrumors newbie

Can someone please clarify if this issue is only affecting old sims that have been carved down and placed in the iPhone 4? What about people who have bought an iPhone 4 micro-sim from Three? Or started a new contact with Three on iPhone 4 from an Apple Store. Do they allow the EDGE fallback on the new iPhone 4 contracts?

If there is anyone reading this who has taken out a brand new three contract on the iPhone 4 from an Apple Store who can confirm if their phone falls back to EDGE or GPRS when not in range of Three's coverage I would be very grateful.

Tom

21. andersonshatch macrumors newbie

I started a new contract with 3 on thursday and it doesn't switch down to EDGE/GPRS, there's no data icon when it's on 2g.

It's very annoying. I'm hoping it's not what's supposed to happen. Starting to wonder if 3 was the right choice. Perhaps if EDGE/GPRS is not available you'd be able to argue that they didn't tell you and get out of the contract? I'd certainly consider doing that.

22. jamies90 macrumors regular

Have been using my 3 contract sim in a 3gs for a couple of months now and have had similar problems.

In carrier options I select 3 (3g) not just the option for 3 as this will go to the 3g/gprs cross over and not allow any data or calls over the 2g orange fallback.

Ive also found that the 3 option crosses to the 2g network even when there is adequate 3 3g signal to cover (on 3 3g option)

Sorry if that got confusing.

Similar story on my iphone 4.

23. motrevilo macrumors newbie

Thank you for that, that's quite clear. Very disappointing though. Due to a complete fail to obtain the equipment on thursday I've had more time to think about what contract to get. I was looking strongly at H3G, but this has just written them off for me I think, and that's a shame.

24. RA19 macrumors regular

Why not ask Three? this blog is pretty good at being updated by a Three employee Nigel Field

http://bit.ly/aiD5x9

25. Cloudane thread starter macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Yep I have asked on the blog also. No response yet but they're only open on weekdays - perhaps he'll clarify tomorrow.

It was said recently (by 3 I think) that smartphone users on average use something like 700% more data than normal phone users. I strongly suspect that if they detect a smartphone (probably from the IMEI) they disable 2g data for the account so it doesn't cost them too much with Orange.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll figure out a way of funding it, like enabling it for contract users. I'd consider it worth moving from 3pay.

Until then I have things arse backwards. On o2 I carried a 3 mifi around to give it decent Internet access in town. Now I have 3 in the phone, have unlocked the mifi and use a Voda chip to get non-decent (but better than nothing) Internet when in rural areas :D

If they're not going to enable 2G data (wouldn't get my hopes up.. I heard they're reviewing the whole 2G arrangement in September when a big mast rollout is complete) I will probably move on. Hopefully Vodafone will have 3G in my town soon, if so I'll be straight onto them as their 2G coverage is spot on and their 3G is probably only second to 3's.

BTW contract users - don't forget there is a 14 day cooling off period, by law. If you have to give the phone back and buy one afresh though, it could be a little while what with the stock issues.