Three UK data notifications - where do they go?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by haydn!, Apr 23, 2012.

1. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Generally. I've never had any problems with three I have my phone with them and they are the cheapest uk provider by far! But just got off the phone from three and got nowhere!

So. I ran over in my iPad data today, to the tune of £4 in an hour! Now I only knew I'd gone over after hitting a splash screen in safari telling me I'd ran out. Not after they let me use 1/28th of my allowance as an overflow.

Anyways, to cut a long story short, after an hour on the phone to three, and speaking to five different people. Noone could tell me where the data warning notifications go. They were more interested in signing me up to a contract with more data.

So, I've been told to click the start button on my task bar (???), that I get a 'flash' notification, and that I get a text... On a device that doesn't accept texts! So, can anyone with an iPad on three actually tell me where they go?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

As far as I know you cannot receive them, because as you say iPad doesn't receive texts. I can only suggest watching your data, or purchasing the unlimited data add on for £3 a month (if it's applicable to iPad plan).

Curiously, how much data do you get? I'm on the 15GB plan and rarely use a few gigs.

3. haydn! thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only got the 1gb plan at first, only had the iPad a few weeks (it's the new one :p) and wasnt sure how much I'd use it, as have wifi at home.

I was going to upgrade when I phoned them, but their incompetence just led me to give up.

So, if you can't receive the notifications, how do I know when my bills coming out etc?

4. matttye macrumors 601

I pay £15 a month for 10GB .. If you sign up for a years contract you get 15GB for the same price. :)

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Download the three app (or just favourite the website link, since it just redirects you there). It gives info on previous bills, upcoming bills, data left.

6. Mix1 macrumors newbie

My advice would be to have a zero spending cap activated on your account. They don't freely tell you they have this service. But i got it just to be on the safe side for my phone contract. I'm sure they offer the same for iPad.

Of course this is if a zero spending cap would suit you. Hope this helps.

7. haydn! thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I arranged for the spending cap to be put on the account, so it will no-longer give the overdraft. It wasn't so much the money side that annoyed me, it was the sheer lack of quality customer service, and the fact four different agents, two in the technical team couldn't confirm how the iPad receives the notifications they send out!

I've since had it confirmed, the notifications are sent by text, which their mi-fi/dongles can accept (via some pc software add-on you get). Three also confirmed (finally!) that they are aware the iPad doesn't receive these notifications, but have not addressed the issue. I mean, how hard can it be for them to at least send an email instead? For the 80% warnings and billing notifications?

8. Mix1 macrumors newbie

I'm a Three network, loyalist but I can totally see where you're coming from. Its odd for such a technologically advanced company in telecommunications to fail in properly understanding the devices that it serves.

Customer service is hit and miss. I'm tethering my iPad to iPhone so notifications should get sent to my phone. But still would like to see them sort it.

Glad you sorted it to some extent, let's hope they come to their senses regarding this soon.

9. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Three have been aware of this issue since the iPad 1!