Three UK iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by z.j.c5, Sep 10, 2010.

1. z.j.c5 macrumors member

Hello,
    I am looking to purchase the iPhone 4 and just wondered if anyone on here has had an expereince with this and could tell me if you can use the 2G connection (Orange back up network) for data?

Thanks

2. Mr dj mo macrumors member

Hi ,

I have an iPhone 4 on 3 network and haven't had any problems with the signal you can use GPRS but i would advise using opera with that as the connection is pretty slow.

Also the 3G network is the best i've used.

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I wouldn't recommend using your phone on 2G for full time use. Three prefer you to use their own network. The backup network is there solely for when coverage of 3G isn't possible.

Continuous use of 2G will get you kicked off.

4. z.j.c5 thread starter macrumors member

I don't plan on using it all the time I just know in some areas it can be a bit patchy.

5. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

What if you live in an area where 3G coverage is patchy at best?

We all know the coverage maps the networks show us are lies. Apparantly I should get perfect coverage at home. The reality is I get no 3G signal, and barely a 2G signal on near enough all the networks.
    Its pathetic that they if you get a contract, but end up with no signal, the network is not obliged to do anything for you. Even if they advertise you should get perfect signal.

(lucky for me I'm at Uni most of the time, but when I'm home my signal is appalling).

6. Mr dj mo macrumors member

Where does it say that??

I always use 2g as where I live in the sticks there is hardly any 3G cover at all.

I've never once been told that they where going to "Kick me Off" the network because of this.

I've been with 3 for about 2 years and use there 2G service 10-20 times a week due to no 3g signal and have had 0 problems.

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Theres a difference between a phone that is unable to connect due to the lack of signal and one that is never on the network at all because the 3G radio is turned off.

If you live in an area of low signal I don't see them cutting you off just because they assume you've turned off 3G. Personally this is why I'll never hold a contract with 3, I like having the choice of deactivating my 3G when needs arise.

On the back of a Three SIM pack it states: You can't use this SIM in a 2G Phone. If you do, you'll be disconnected.

8. Mr dj mo macrumors member

HUH there is no 3g signal where i live only 2g which im on 70%+ of the time due to being at home.

I've never had a problem with 3 due to this meaning that even if you can't get 3G accessing 2G isn't a problem.

9. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

How would Three know the difference though?

10. z.j.c5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,
    Anyone know who three use to deliver there online orders?