Throttling and ITunes Match - made in hell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the sinner, Jun 18, 2012.

1. the sinner macrumors newbie

This month I enabled ITunes Match on my iPhone and my usage was 8.97 gigs. I am grandfathered AT&T "unlimited" but I am noticing the penalty speed reduction. All I am doing is listening on my commute , I have a huge classical music collection, which I doubt anyone could call extreme. Didn't anyone think this out? Such an epic fail AND false advertising!

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'd rather be throttled to AT&T's throttled speeds then be stuck paying the overages that new customers have to pay now for both AT&T and Verizon. I would recommend downloading the music you would like to listen to while ahead of time you are on WiFi so that you can conserve your data usage.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It's ridiculous how smartphones are becoming more and more reliant on data yet carriers are putting more limits on data usage :rolleyes:

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Don't think that's not intentional. This is why I don't bother with iCloud and continue to get devices with as much local storage as possible. I just hope Apple doesn't stop upgrading capacity.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What you could do is just download what you want to listen to before you travel, via Wifi?

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not sure what you're asking. It's cellular data usage. No different than XM radio, Pandora, etc.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The person responsible for thinking this out is you. If you don't want to be throttled then pay for a non-throttled data plan. Pick your priority.

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

What false advertising is there? I haven't heard anywhere that Apple promised iTunes match wouldn't use data or anything.

iTunes match is a very good backup service and that's what I use it for. Recently my computer f'd up and everything got lost. iTunes match saved my music. I would of lost it if it wasn't for it.