throw away old hard drive?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Aug 20, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have an old 80 GB hard drive that basically doesn't work (it does every so often)

should i just throw it away?

and if so, do i have to do anything special?

2. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't think you want it. it's 80 GB, but like i said, it rarely works.

i just plugged it up in an external enclosure, and nothing happened. my mbp didn't see it at all. sometimes it will see it, sometimes it will pop up "can't read disk" or something, and you can either eject it or format it.

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

You don't have to do anything special to throw it away. There are not any hazardous materials.

If you have info on it that you don't want others to have- burn it. smash it, grind it up, and run some magnets over it.

Honestly I don't think anyone will be digging through your trash and then try to get the info off of a failed HD, unless you're the guy on Prison Break. It couldn't hurt beating it up a little though.

Have Fun! :)

5. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

See if there is someone, or an IT department at your school or place of biz, who will degauss it for you.

6. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I usually take my old ones apart and steal their magnets. Quite Strong. And I don't waste time or money with degaussing or a wiping zeros allover the drive. I just take a 10lbs sledge hammer to it.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

alright guys.....you don't have tell me twice. i'll take this outside......:p

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

If you really want try taking a sander to the plates. I thinks thats the best way to kill it.. If thats what you trying to do:p

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Take it apart! Working in the IT department for a university during the year, we get a ton of busted hard drives, and we take them apart and have parts scattered all over our workspace to keep us occupied when bored. And besides, you never know when you'll fancy a game of hard drive platter frisbee :D

10. pengu macrumors 6502a