Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Throwboy, known for its lineup of plush pillows modeled after classic Apple products, today announced the launch of a new set of high-end woven blankets that are designed with Mac fans in mind.

throwboy-blanket-1.jpg

Created in collaboration with the Mineola Knitting Company and priced at $160, the throw blankets come in three designs. There's a multi-colored iMac version that features the iMac G3 in a series of bright colors, an Icon version that's modeled after the original Mac Finder icon, and an iPod version that features iPods dripping different colors.

throwboy-blanket-2.jpg

Each blanket measures in at 50 inches by 60 inches, and they are individually woven from recycled cotton and recycled polyester materials. Throwboy says that the blankets are stretchy, soft, and have a comfortable, slightly weighted feel.

throwboy-blanket-3.jpg

All of the blankets can be purchased from the Throwboy website, and for those who want a Mac-themed blanket but don't want to shell out so much money, Throwboy also has a line of more affordable fleece blankets.

Article Link: Throwboy Launches New Mac-Themed Woven Throw Blankets

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Charging $160 for a blanket like that is absurd. They could charge a lot less and still make a nice profit. I hope they go out of business.
Mass produced premium 50" by 60" woven blanket costs about $50. I have few Throway products and they are certainly very premium. So I am willing to cut them some slack. Since this is large and custom, it probably costs them about $80 to break even.

I have a bigger problem swallowing $50+ shipping cost, however.

• Wow
Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Mass produced premium 50" by 60" woven blanket costs about $50. I have few Throway products and they are certainly very premium. So I am willing to cut them some slack. Since this is large and custom, it probably costs them about $80 to break even.

I have a bigger problem swallowing $50+ shipping cost, however.
They charge $50 to ship? If so, that is even more absurd.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It would be easier to justify their price if the blankets were made out of some high-quality material, like alpaca wool, or something like that. But these are just $160 cotton blankets....

Reactions: ChrisMoBro

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Charging $160 for a blanket like that is absurd. They could charge a lot less and still make a nice profit. I hope they go out of business.
Well, they have to license the images from Apple, for starters. Then there’s the material and production costs (silkscreening or computer guided weaving) salaries, rent, equipment, taxes, utilities, etc. Besides, buy it or don’t.

• Haha
Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Based on how thin it is, I would say it's an $8 blanket. That would give them about an 80% markup if they buy supplies retail.

Reactions: CJM

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I'm certainly not in the market to pay $160 for a blanket like this, but their cheaper audio cassette blanket design on their site is pretty cool. (the dark one)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.