Throwing in the Towel

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ritzuk, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ritzuk macrumors member

Well, it seems the new iMacs aren't coming out today - I'm starting to wonder if we'll see new iMacs at all this month? I've been waiting for these for so long I might just throw in the towel and buy a Macbook Pro.

I had thought about a Windows machine for half the price, but I'm not that desperate :apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's a Thursday... They were never going to come out today.:confused:

Do what you want to do, just don't complain if they're out the last week of February.

3. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

Did you miss this story?
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/30/limited-imac-availability-suggests-possible-refresh/

Specifically:

"Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

MB324LL/A, IMAC 20/2.66/2GB/320GB/SD-USA will now ship on or before Feb 05, 2009"

That seemed to indicate something might happen on the 5th of Feb - possibly a new machine?

4. macall75 macrumors member

Just buy one now, there wont be new ones out for a long time, and I dont think they need an update anyway

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why?

At any rate, it didn't happen, so do what you want.

First part: Agreed.
    Second part: Disagreed.
    Third part: I don't care that this is only an opinion, your opinion is wrong.

6. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Dude stop your whining. Seriously what is with you people? My 2007 iMac is still freaking fast and you are all freaking out that your new iMacs aren't out yet? Then go get a damn PC if you are soooo worried.

7. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Yes and you are always right Tallest. An opinion is an opinion because it cannot be right or wrong, it just depends on your perspective. And I agree, the iMacs really don't need a refresh. So, stop putting others down because you don't agree, you are ridiculous. Oh by the way, nice ridiculous Mac Pro thread, awesome speculation (IMO...imagine that).

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The current lot of iMacs are good machines. They are not "too slow", they are not worthless for everyday work, and they are not slouches compared to the rest of Apple's lineup.

But they're old and they're out of date.

There is better hardware that conforms to the iMac niche in existence, and therefore Apple should update to that.

There are properly "speeded" CPUs, better GPUs, faster RAM, and cheaper/larger HDDs, and as such, if Apple wants to continue to sell the iMac, they should update the hardware to keep it in line with the progress of technology.

This is my rationale. Your opinion could be that wooden desks remain alive, but that does not make it correct when pitted against the opinion of everyone else (that they are not still alive).

9. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

You have a 2007 mac - good for you! Mine is a PowerPC G5, and it's getting quite slow and quite hot - I doubt it'll be around for much longer.

The GPU in the current bottom of the range iMac is pretty terrible - I'm waiting for the 9000 series updates.

Tallest Skill: Are you the definition of 'troll'? Please don't reply to any of my posts in the future - you hardly ever have anything either useful or positive to say.

10. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The technology in these machines is a year old. It may not sound like a lot, but a year is a very long time in the tech world. The graphics cards are almost 2 years old as well, and that's pretty much ridiculous considering the premium you pay. Let's not forget that HD prices have gone down (seriously, I just bought a 1TB drive for $95 and they only put a 250GB on the cheapest model?) and we're already at DDR3 ram for the macbooks.

We pay such a premium for this hardware; I feel like we should be only getting premium parts.

And Ritzuk, OP is not a troll, but when 10 people a day ask what they should do now because the iMac hasn't been updated yet just like it hasn't been updated last week, it gets a little old. There are guides and countless threads that answer this question. If you can wait, wait. If you can't, buy. It's not like you're going to be paying money for teh worst computer evar (except maybe if you buy a mini).

11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

They don't need a refresh? Really? The price for the specs is not too great.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

As you wish, however, I will very easily forget.

You can choose to ignore certain members by choosing "Ignore" from their User Profile page. Forgive the perceived brashness; it was not my intent.