Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maschinetheist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Heya,

Is it recommended to throw out old MBP boxes (cardboard boxes, not the electronics ;)) to save up some space? We're throwing out some old MBP boxes out of storage my office to clean out the storage rooms, would it be best to save the serial number and the SKU label from the bottom of the boxes? Doesn't AppleCare usually ship out new boxes in case you need to ship them some equipment?

Thanks,

maschinetheist

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
They usually send you boxes to ship things to them in. I would cut out the serial/model part of the box and maybe save those (in case one gets lost/stolen) but otherwise toss em if you need the space. Most people here will think you're throwing out something very important though!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You don't really need the boxes for much unless you're planning to resell at some point; in that case, it's nice to be able to say that you have it.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

You don't really need the boxes for much unless you're planning to resell at some point; in that case, it's nice to be able to say that you have it.

This is why I keep all my boxes. I usually sell my computers after 3 years and it's nice to have the box to go with it. It's also good if you have to send it to Apple for repairs.

If you don't have the space and/or don't plan on selling it, then there's nothing wrong with throwing it away (or recycling).

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I'll also recommend cutting out the serial numbers of boxes if the OP doesn't want it anymore, just in case. By the way, I'll suggest the OP put up the unwanted box on EBAY for sale! You wouldn't believe how much money people will pay to buy the empty boxes! :eek:

maschinetheist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2009
I'll also recommend cutting out the serial numbers of boxes if the OP doesn't want it anymore, just in case. By the way, I'll suggest the OP put up the unwanted box on EBAY for sale! You wouldn't believe how much money people will pay to buy the empty boxes! :eek:

That's what I did with my personal MB (cut out the serial numbers), did not try selling the box :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.