Thrown away iPod box, no rebate?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djc123, Nov 11, 2008.

1. djc123 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, seems fairly correct.

I'll keep it short. I bought the new unibody MBP with printer rebate and iPod rebate. this was all done on my University network to get the student discount.

In my haste i threw away the box the iPod came in (still have the MBP and printer boxes). I was talking to a friend about the rebate thing and she said you need to have the EAN or something which is the label on the box, which was thrown away.

Is there any way I can still get the £90 via the rebate? Theres an Apple store where I live at home, but I won't be back there until mid December, which may be too late to claim the rebate anyway?

Cheers for your help in advance.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Try it anyway, apparently someone on here managed to get the rebate without any EANs...
    You should be ok if you're including the invoice. I also had some shipping information stuck to the main cardboard boxes of both my macbook and iPod, did you keep that by any chance?

3. djc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I threw away the cardboard box that the iPod shipped in. Theres serial numbers on the actual (clear plastic) iPod box.

I've still got the MBP box that it shipped in. So I have 2 EAN labels: one for the MBP, one for the printer.

But surely I could print off my invoice and apple will see that I ordered the iPod under the rebate. Or did I just waste £115?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

apple is generally lenient towards this kind of stuff. just ask nicely, and show them the records.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Are you able to request the rebate online on your side of the pond? I know that it was possible in the United States this year. If not, then a UPC is a UPC. Most companies outsource their rebate centers and they're typically pretty strict.

6. djc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, you request it on the apple website, then have to send off forms in the post.

Looks like I have to do it within 30 days of the deal ending, which takes me to 1st December. Seems that the only way I can do it is by taking a trip back home soon. :mad:

EDIT:

Does anyone have the new iPod Nano box (clear plastic) near them? I just checked it again and it has a 12 digit code under the barcode. There is a 12 digit code under a barcode on the MBP box and a 13 digit code under a barcode on the printer box. Is this the missing EAN that i've been looking for?

7. djc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a bit confused now. You know the small label (about 5cm x 1.8cm) on the bottom of the plastic iPod box. Is that the label I need?

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - that is the one - part of the thin card "tray" that sits in the bottom of the iPod plastic box.

The MBP upc will be on the bottom of the box (serial number and ethernet details etc) assuming it is in the same place as a MacBook one....

If you are doing the claim on-line (it prints the forms for you) watch when you do the second claim for the Printer - there will be a question about sending in the bar-codes - say "no" and it should ask for a cross-reference to your iPod rebate....

There is a thread in the MacBook forum here "iPod rebate fiasco - UK" or something - worth a read....

9. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I've done this before. Ring them, they're usually pretty helpful.

AppleMatt