Thule Atmos breaking iPhone display?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rdranade, Dec 30, 2014.

1. rdranade macrumors newbie

When I purchased my iPhone 6 the only case available that I liked was the Thule Atmos x3. So I purchased this case and was extremely happy with it, but after a week or so of use I noticed a clicking sound on the bottom right corner of my phones display. The screen itself seemed to pop out of the chassis of the phone as if the clips (or whatever binds the screen to the phone itself) had come loose. The issue didn't really impede the function of the phone but it was really annoying to hear a clicking noise whenever I pressed the bottom part of the screen.

So I went to the apple store and they exchanged it no problem. I put the replacement phone back into the thule case and a week later I had the exact same issue in the exact same location. I exchanged the phone again and once again put the second replacement into the case....and a few days later I had THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. I would also like to add that I've never dropped any of the phones or handled them in any way that would cause damage to them.

I am now on my THIRD replacement (my fourth total phone) and I'm now using the incipo dual pro and the screen clicking issue is non existent. However, I still really do like the Thule case and would like to keep using it but not if it physically destroys the phone. So I guess the point of this post is to see if anybody else who owns the Thule Atmos has experienced something similar? Somebody please tell me I'm insane and that there is NO way that a simple case design like that of the Atmos would be the cause of the issue and that I just got unlucky....

2. stcizzle macrumors regular

I have this case for the iphone 5s and the fit is exceedingly superior to any other case that I've found. I'm assuming this is also true for the 6 and 6+. That said, although the fit is better, it does put quite a bit more stress on the case and the phone during the install if not done gently and slowly. if the case was the cause of popping the screen out, I'd have to bet on the fact that it was how u were installing it.

I've found that with the thules, since they are wicked tight and not as stretchy as most other similar cases, it doesn't really work to install it the normal way as with other cases of putting the entire button side in from to to bottom first then snap in the right side.

I've found it puts a lot less stress on the case and phone by putting the whole top of the phone in first and pushing the phone in gently down both sides until you reach the bottom and push the entire bottom of the case in last. Sounds silly but believe me, it works.

I don't know if that was the cause of ur issue, but I bet if it was, that the bottom left corner was the last corner u used to pop into the case thus causing the most stress on that corner on both the case and phone.

Just my 2 cents...

3. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

I have had the Thule Atmos X3 on my 6 since I got it two months ago and I haven't had that issue at all.

4. EOB macrumors regular

Some users on the forum did report a problem with a clicking sound on the bottom of the iphone 6. Could be just that problem.

5. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

It could be the displays on the phones your receiving but the culprit more than likely is you got a bad case. Have you tried a different Atmos on your iPhone?

6. rdranade thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have two different cases in different colors. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to find a different case haha

7. w4rmk macrumors regular

My wife has had the pink & white Atmos installed on her iPhone 6 for about a month without any issues.

8. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Me and my girlfriend's iphone 6 both have this issue with the screen. It's not your thule case trust me. Actually I'm going to purchase the thule case soon lol

9. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

I have been in the same situation with my phone - been through about 5 phones so far.

My opinion is its not the case in itself causing he issue, its the phone getting slightly warped from a host of issues from slight stress in a pocket to pushing in or pulling the phone out of the case - thus causing a slight warp or bend in the thin aluminum housing - almost undetectable to the naked eye. Metal bends - glass does not.

After my 5th replacement I do not carry my phone in my pockets and amvery careful with taking the phone in/out of a case.

So far - no clicky screen.

Sucks the phones are so fragile.

10. techspin macrumors 6502a

Put it back into the case again. For science. :)

11. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

The Thule Atmos X3 for IP6/6+ is a great case. I have it on my 6+ and have been nothing but happy with it. I have taken it off numerous times, and have never had any problems with it. My daughter has the Thule case on her iPhone 6 and has been similarly pleased with it. I doubt whatever is going on with your iPhone has anything to do with this case.

I reviewed my Thule Atmos X3 on YouTube, if anyone would like to see more information about it:

http://youtu.be/K4qkELfJH-g

Thanks!

12. rdranade thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that it's a great case! So I put my phone back into the atmos case and once again it started making the clicking sound. I'm pretty sure that putting pressure along the edge of the phone where the aluminum curves causes the display to dislodge due to the metal being put under pressure. I had a pentlobe screw driver lying around and tightened the screws on the bottom and it seems to have fixed the issue. ******* you apple

13. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I would have to guess the problem is the case, you might have a defective case and that is why you keep having problems when you use it.

14. rdranade thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it might be the case as well but had two different cases and bought a third just to see if it produced the same issue

15. Thomas Estwick, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

Thomas Estwick macrumors newbie

This is very old I know, however, I wanted to state that I've had the same problem with every iPhone that I've placed the Thule Atmos case on. The screen begins to pop up from the bezel due to the force being applied to the rounded edges of the phone since the case doesn't curve right around to provide any screen lip. Third iPhone, fourth Thule case. Most won't notice the popping noise but in a quite environment mine were noticeable especially around the top. Frustratingly noticeable. As soon as I took the case off the poping slowly went away as I assume the screen reseated itself. So you aren't alone man.

Tom

16. oconnell84 macrumors newbie

I had this happen..took it to apple (out of warranty) and they swapped it for me.