Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Which is better for Storage. A thumb drive or a DVD eternal Drive and DVS's. Thank you very much

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
What are your needs for “storage”? It kinda depends. Good, reliable, large hard disks probably better than both those options if you have lots of data.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Thumb drive. Faster, more capacious. Possibly less economical than a 50 cent DVD-R. Depends heavily on where you buy your media. Depends on what you plan to do with the media.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
In almost all cases: drive / stick.

It is much faster, convenient to read, and even might support encryption better.

From my experience, burnt DVDs are prone to data less, too. I did some backups (of not too unrecoverable data) about 10 or 15 years ago, and after some time, a significant amount of them had errors. The disks were good, the drive used was good... Yes, some time went by, but I don't trust the "life span" that's advertised. And much more expensive than an external Disk, too, today.

But it really depends on your type of data and what you want to do with it. I can hardly see any good use case for burning DVDs today; BR may be suitable - but then, usually some flash storage wins out. And you might be more likely to have a USB port on the reading machine than an optical drive.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Which is better for Storage. A thumb drive or a DVD eternal Drive and DVS's. Thank you very much

When I glanced at the column beside the post, and saw '2010' I thought "Oh, that makes sense, this is an old thread and someone posted a reply today, so it showed up as 'recent'"...

I guess if you want to put a home movie onto disc for a relative who has no other way to view video on a TV, then I guess that's an option, but in 2019 I cannot see any valid purpose for DVDs for general purpose storage.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Just bought a new iMac and want some storage options besides iCloud :D. I also have a few things to get off of my PC that can be opened on a Mac(PDF and Word files)

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Just bought a new iMac and want some storage options besides iCloud :D. I also have a few things to get off of my PC that can be opened on a Mac(PDF and Word files)
In that case, you are asking for a USB 3 drive. If you want to go easy, speedy and compatible, Samsung T5 is what you are looking for here.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
In that case, you are asking for a USB 3 drive. If you want to go easy, speedy and compatible, Samsung T5 is what you are looking for here.

Given OP talked about DVDs I was assuming “storage” == “archive” ? Maybe the use case could be clarified???

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Given OP talked about DVDs I was assuming “storage” == “archive”
I wondered about that too. Not because DVDs are actually that great for archival storage, but because people think they are.

But s/he also asked about a USB drive, and then clarified and it sounds (to me at least) like more general storage.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If your goal is long-term data storage and archiving, I'll reckon that the best media for this will be M-DISCs in "bluray" sizes (25gb and 50gb).

You need an "M-DISC capable" burner to create M-DISCs, but once created, they can be read by ANY drive.

You can also buy M-DISCs in DVD formats.

The problem with flashdrives is that they can just "give out" after a while.
And any data stored on ONE flashdrive (only) is in danger.
You need at least TWO copies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.