Thumb Drives and Mac Issue...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chrono1081, Apr 6, 2008.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have a thumb drive that I use in windows machines all day and when I come home I put it in my mac, but my mac can only read it, it cant write to it. I looked in Disk Utility and there is no options to verify permissions or anything (they are greyed out) and in windows the permissions are completely open, I can even use my thumbdrive in bootcamp XP on my mac just fine, just not in mac os. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Pop it back into that windows machine and (I don't know how to do this sorry) change the permissions...

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

The permissions are already set up fine : / Thats the odd thing. It does it with every usb drive.

4. atluten macrumors 6502

It sounds like the drive is not formatted to allow your Mac to write to it. You should be able to identify what the current format is by using Disk Utility and clicking on "Erase" then looking at the "Volume Format" section. One format that I know can be written by Windows and Mac is MS-DOS. You will have to reformat your drive to this format, so be sure that your data is mirrored elsewhere. Cheers.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

FIgured it out. The mac wouldnt let me reformat so I reformatted in windows and all is well.