Thumb Drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by questions, Nov 23, 2008.

1. questions macrumors member

Do you need a special thumb drive to save files from a mac and open them on a pc or will any do that?

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Any will work. I do it constantly. Unfortunately my work uses windows.

3. questions thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I thought my big external drive was made specifically for macs, so I was assuming there are different memory sticks for macs and pcs.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

There's no such thing as a hard drive just for macs either. Macs do have their own format for hard drives and whatnot, but you can format any hard drive for use with a mac. What's more, a mac can read windows formatted disks just fine, which is why the thumb drives present no problem.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

for moving files from one system to another though you'll want it formatted to FAT32 which can be read and written to by both OS X and Windows. OS X can read NTFS (Windows formatting), but cannot write.

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

My Kingston flash is formatted Fat 32 and works fine with either system. Someone in our local Mac user group who is somewhat of a gadgetphile said not to bother renaming the drive. She said leaving the name it is given when it first shows up on the desktop is a good idea if you're switching between OSs.