Thumbnail retention in finder on external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andyn, Sep 30, 2008.

1. andyn macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to the mac having only just got a 24" imac 3.06 a couple of weeks ago.

I was previously a devout PC user but after getting a laptop with Vista on it last year and needing a new desktop could not bring myself to have to use vista every day for work so finally took the plunge.

I have a lot of media clips (avi, wmv, mov, mp4 etc) on an external drive and it can take finder quite a while to create thumbnails. Obviously it is a lot faster scanning through the folders once the thumbnails have been generated but as soon as I switch off the machine the thumbnails seem to be gone and have to be remade every time I switch back on.

I have tried various different settings but nothing seems to be working - am I missing something obvious here? on a pc the "thumbs.db" file keeps all the thumbnail info for quick recreating of thumbnails but there doesnt seem to be anything similar going on with the mac!

Please help :( as i don't have enough hair left to be pulling out any more trying to find the solution to this :D

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Try out File Sheriff from
    http://www.qweas.com/download/system/desktop_tools/file_sheriff.htm

It looks promising, but I haven't used it (yet).

Some of the other (free) icon creators may also work (search for OS X ICON CREATOR ) for you. I have used cocothumbx - but usually to delete icon preview created, so they get recreated by finder. I'd recommend it IF that solves your problem.