Thunderbird Get Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Andrew D., May 13, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I'm trying out Thunderbird as my email program since the Apple Mail isn't working very well for me. I was wondering if there is a way to forward or transfer all your messages from gmail to Thunderbird similar to the Apple Mail's option of moving all your email from gmail to the appliation itself. Thanks everyone!

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

gmail is using a protocol called "POP", if you already used mail.app to download all your emails and leave no copy behind on gmail's server, then there is no any email for another email client to download.

Its just a problem of which email client you used first, second one will have no email to download.

However, i think thunderbird has a function of importing emails, try to see if it can import your emails from mail.app

3. skwij macrumors 6502

I believe you need an extension for Thunderbird to be able to configure it optimally for Gmail. You also will need to mess about with the settings at the Gmail end of things.

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I don't access my Gmail accounts via TB. For personal reasons I keep Gmail and my other mail handlers separate.

However, there's a great community over at mozillazine, even though the vast majority of users are Windows-based. I find I can usually find enough info there to figure things out for the Mac version whatever issue I'm having (which thankfully, are NONE, lately!)

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, gmail is a standard POP/SMTP service, TB, actually any email clients for that matter, does not need and addons to use gmail.

5. skwij macrumors 6502

Oh, Ok, cool! My mistake! I've always thought that Gmail was based on IMAP servers.

Good to know, and sorry to the OP for the incorrect info.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Even if Gmail used IMAP servers, it would not make a difference. IMAP is an industry standard protocol. Most modern email clients, including Mail and Thunderbird, handle IMAP just fine.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought that GMail ignored client requests to delete messages? At least, it always has for me (unlike other POP services I have configured alongside it). It would be kind of nice to have the messages Mail identifies as junk get deleted off the server, but nothing else, if possible....

With regard to the original question, I believe that if you configure TBird to access GMail via POP, and then you go in GMail's web interface to Settings -> Forwarding and POP -> Pop Download -> Status and select the first option, "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)", then upon next get mail, TBird will start getting every message that's in your GMail account.