Thunderbird help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yg17, May 31, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm using the latest version of Thunderbird. I have a POP account set up both on TBird and my phone (windows mobile 5) and both of them check the account automatically every so often. If a new message comes in and TBird gets it first, deletes from server and my phone doesn't get a copy which is good if I'm at the computer because I don't have to go delete it on my phone too. However, if I'm away from my computer and TBird beats my phone to a new message, I obviously don't get that e-mail on my phone which doesn't help me too much if I'm away from my computer. Defeats the purpose of having an account setup on my phone.

Of course, the easy solution to this problem is to quit TBird or set it offline everytime I walk away from my computer. But no way that's going to happen, I'll forget. And I could set TBird to not delete from the server which would work, but then I have to read/delete in 2 places. Is there a feature or extension or something that will automatically put TBird offline (or just quit it completely) if I haven't used my computer for, say, 5 minutes? Maybe it could be offline while my screensaver's running or something. Or any other ideas? How do you guys handle having an account in both a desktop client and a phone?

Also, putting my Mac to sleep after inactivity isn't an option since I have other stuff I want running in the background constantly.

Thanks

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

before i looking for any extensions. does this works?
    uncheck "autocheck new email every____minutes", so TB only checks new email at startup.

Im using several imap servers, so the problem described doesn't really exist.

PS, TB does offer a offline/online button on the lower left corner, its not auto tho

3. skwij macrumors 6502

Go to Thunderbird>Tools>Account Settings>Server Settings and check the box that says "leave mail on server" (I usually also tick the "until I move it from Inbox" as well, to prevent the server from filling up and rejecting new mail).