Thunderbird Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ivnj, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that should be in your profile folder as well. did you copy the whole "thunderbird" folder over to leopard ?

3. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes copied the whole folder over. But half my stuff is missing.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, there can be only two places, if you are sure the profile folder is copied over. the other place would have to be thunderbird.app folder in your application folder.

It looks like a single app, but its actually a folder with an icon. you should copy thunderbird.app over to new leopard machine, open it, and run an update from there.

Let me know if you have any further problem with it.

here are some documentation about moving profiles of thunderbird and firefox http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder check to see if anything you want to try.

PS. stuff is still there, so no need to panic. :)

5. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

And where does thunderbird.app folder hide on 10.3 and 10.5?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its thunderbird.app in your application folder. it looks like an executable single file.

[​IMG]

7. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

I did break the pismo, but I had a nice lombard 333 spare laying around. Still very slow so I'd like to sell and not keep it for ever. So it would be nice to get the data off.

Anyhow I popped the 40gb hd in and it loaded straight to is 10.3. All my stuff was back.

Went to hd/users/myname/library/thunderbird

Removed the thunderbird folder. Restarted thunderbird and all my stuff was still there. It didn't disappear. So it's not in that folder.

And on Leoapprd I coppied the app over to my desktop and still nothing. Half is still missing. So there has to be another place.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sounds like it must be, maybe your profile folder is actually not in the original places. this might happen if it was previously moved. Now is there anyway you can do a spotlight style search of your HDD for "thunderbird"? I know OSX 10.3 doesn't have spotlight, but any other search tool you can use?

mean time, I will dig some more see if I can figure out anything....:)

9. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

The regular Command F built-in to 10.3 won't do?

10. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

All is well now thanks for all your help.

I did a Command F and found 3 folders. I could of swore I was looking in the right place. I guess I wasn't. I copied all 3 thunderbird folders to a mac hd. All were small in size. Except 1 was over 400mb. The folders I were using were under 20mb so I guess I was using the wrong folder. I didn't realize I had more than 1 thunderbird folder. Anyhow it doesn't matter global or what ever at least it's all in that 1 thunderbird folder so it's easy to backup now.

So all is restored now thanks.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

glad you got it solved! you might be safely remove the other two (try it with backup of course). :D

12. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

No need. It's all on my removable hd now. No need to remove the others since it's not on my main drive and it's only backup. So I just copy the folder I need over to Leopard and nothing else. Now all is restored. Thanks.