Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkUltra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hi!
When I send email with IMAP and Thunderbird, Thunderbird is set to put a copy of sent messages in "sent" folder on jooh@me.com. What happens is that a "vanilla" Sent folder appears in webmail mobileme and the sent mail is put there. It doesn't use the main Sent folder on jooh@me.com. Any way to change it? I tried deleting the "vanilla" sent folder but then Thunderbird say "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Mailbox does not exist."

DarkUltra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2008
SOLVED

Got a reply from Apple Support, turns out Thunderbird does not get proper Sent, Draft and Trash IMAP folders from mail.me.com. Strange, they do have a FAQ that says how to set up Thunderbird as IMAP client.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1625?viewlocale=en_US#thunderbird

I understand that ThunderBird allows you to select where you want to store your messages, But the mobileMe sent folder will not be an option that is available. I apologize but this is part of MobileMe's configuration and can not be changed.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience and we appreciate the suggestion. Please use the Feed back link sent in the previous email sent.

Please, if you need this option too, use the feedback service and ask for it
http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html

jonnymorrow

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I finally figured this out after hours of wrestling with it.

As far as thunderbird (or any windows email client) is concerned, the mobile me sent folder is
actually called "Sent Messages." You must subscribe to this folder as it is not visible by
default.

-Right click the mobile me account name in left column and click subscribe
-Un subscribe to the folder called "sent" as it doesn't actually exist on mobile me.
-Subscribe to "sent messages"

-Now that thunderbird sees the "sent messages" folder, go to account settings - copies and
folders. Under "place a copy in..." choose "Other" then choose the newly visible "sent messages
folder.

Your sent messages folder now syncs properly with mobile me's sent folder.

Reactions: pat100

dhoerl

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
Deleting the now unused Sent folder...

Hope I didn't blow Eudora's mind, but I did the previous steps to get "Sent Messages" as my Sent box, but then had the old Sent mailbox show up as a plain folder.

I deleted the Sent mailbox but nothing appeared to happend. Quit and restarted. I then tried to rename the folder, and again nothing appeared to happen.

On the second quit/restart, it went away and "Sent Messages" is properly badged and at the top.

This thread was a big help!

David

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Still helpful in May 2012

Thanks,

This helped me immensely with Thunderbird 11 on Ubuntu and iCloud.
All set up now, with the added bonus of being able to send from my own personal domain email address and keep a copy of sent emails in iCloud.

Jim.

pat100

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Brilliant - it's 2016 and still this fixes the iCloud Sent Messages not showing up in the unified Sent folder.
I wasted a lot of time on this then the above answer fixed it in 30 seconds!

mikefromd

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
15 years later this is still in issue if you want to use Apple Mail with Thunderbird. And the solution still works. Thank you. But in other areas (basic linking of the mail account, use of contacts and calendars) the use of Apple Mail, Contacts and Calendar with Thunderbird on Windows has become really a smooth experience.

But thanks again for the solution with the Sent messages!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.