Thunderbird mail client not playing nicely with iphone mail client

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jSunbeam, Oct 2, 2009.

1. jSunbeam macrumors regular

Hello folks.

I have an email account which is set up in both Thunderbird on my macbook and on my iphone.

When I receive an email to this account on my iphone and then view it in thunderbird, the message is deleted from my iphone inbox!

Clarification:

1. Receive email to account
    2. View it on iphone
    3. View it in thunderbird
    4. Go back to iphone mail inbox - message gone!

Can anyone help with this? Am I going to have to ditch Thunderbird and use Mail? Please say I won't have to do that.

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

3. jSunbeam thread starter macrumors regular

It's POP.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

POP mail is not really suited to have multiple devices accessing the mailbox. The POP protocol does not handle simultaneous access well at all. Also, the POP client (e.g., Thunderbird) normally downloads the mail from the server and then deletes it from the server. There is a seeting in Thunderbird that will stop it from doing this. Look here:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/05/04/how-to-set-thunderbird-to-leave-mail-on-the-server/

Don't leave the messages on the server for too long.

IMAP is a much better protocol for multiple device access to email accounts. But it does require a little more effort on the part of the user to manage his mail since it is left on the server.

S-

5. jSunbeam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much. I had a feeling it may have been something along those lines. :)