Thunderbird or Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by milesdavis, Mar 14, 2008.

1. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

Hello All --

Waiting for my MBP. I currently use Thunderbird for my email on the PC, and I like it. I know Mail is good as well, and I'm wondering if anyone thinks I should stick with Thunderbird over Mail on the Mac. Also -- what about exporting my current addresses + email from my PC Thunderbird to either Mail or Mac Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance! MD

2. macdoobie macrumors member

thunderbird all the way! open source all the way!

oh...thunderbird has enigmail...which allows you to use openpgp...so yeah clear winner for me here.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I like Mail, but it's up to you, really. No reason you can't try out Mail and go back to Thunderbird if you don't like it. :)

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I used Mail since Leopard was released, but just this week I gave Thunderbird another try and am quite satisfied with it. We'll see how it goes, but I'm liking it a lot. I liked how Mail handled RSS, but as a whole Thunderbird feels more complete and natural.

5. optigrab macrumors newbie

I have tried my hand at switching between the two. When its complete simplicity you should go with mail, but when you like a features and open source adjustments that thunderbird has to offer it is by far the choice.

6. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

I like Mail a lot for its Smart Mailboxes features. Couldn't live without them.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I use :apple: Mail because it was already there and works great. Plus it's an :apple: product, so that automatically makes it cooler of course :p

8. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Thanks for your responses. I'm still torn, without having used Mail. Since I'm using Thunderbird on my PC, it makes sense, but I also realize that TB lacks integration with other OSX features, such as address book...

-MD

9. Silent!Avenger macrumors newbie

I used both and I decided to stick with iMail. Both seem to work flawlessly for me, I just like iMails look and feel a bit more. I would recommend setting both up and deciding which one you like more.

10. Amblinman macrumors regular

As with everything else in life, it just depends on your needs. I've used both, but Mail wins hands down due to it's integration with the calendar. I use my Mac for work and being able to set up To Do's and events in calendar directly from text in email is incredibly useful and efficient.

If that stuff doesn't mean anything to you, you probably can't go wrong with either one. Tbird is just as good if you don't care about the capabilities I mentioned.

11. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Thanks again, all.

Here is an interesting question about mail that someone might be able to answer I hope.

Sometimes I need to send out emails with html pages attached [like the ones you get from on-line stores, where you see an ad and can click on it, etc.]. I had problems getting these to attach properly in windows mail programs, except for Thunderbird. How does Mail handle that type of thing?

Thanks again all - MD

12. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

the ultimate solution is to mail it as PDF. In your browser, go to Print and inside the Print dialog click on PDF > Mail PDF.

That works for sure and looks 100% right at the other end.

/Rupert