Thunderbird vs Mac Mail client

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OldMike, Apr 14, 2009.

1. OldMike macrumors 6502

I just got my iMac last week and have just about everything setup on it - except for mail. Right now I am using Microsoft Remote Desktop to remote into my Windows box for mail.

On my Windows box I am using Thunderbird for mail. I got sick of being tied to MS Office a couple of years ago, and knew I was going to switch to either Mac or Linux and so I transferred everything over to Thunderbird and have been using it ever since. The transfer, at the time was not the easiest, since I needed to transfer from Outlook to Outlook Express and then into Thunderbird (not sure if that is still the case today).

I really like Thunderbird, but have been thinking about maybe using the Mac Mail client that is built in. One of the big advantages to switching to Thunderbird is the fact that I can switch mail clients and retain all of my saved mail pretty easily. Also I like the fact that if in the future I decide to go to Linux (not likely, but you never know), Thunderbird works on that platform as well.

I don't like being tied to a certain mail client and would like to use something that is available on all platforms. I know that the Mac Mail client built into OS X is Mac specific, but how difficult would it be to switch to a different mail client in the future? Can I export the mail to a format that can be imported to a different client in the future if I need to?

Has anyone here transferred their mail from Thunderbird on the PC to Mac Mail on OS X? How difficult was it? Also, if I imported everything into Mac Mail, and I didn't like it, how hard would it be to switch from OS X Mail to Thunderbird?

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated. I like Thunderbird, but have not used OS X's Mail for a long time (I think it was the one in version 10.3) and I don't remember anything about it.

This is my last task in finally switching off of my PC for daily usage, and I want to make the best decision as to what mail client to use...

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

search results.

After quick glance, it looks like the easy way is to transfer from PC thunderbird to Mac Thunderbird, then import mac thunderbird to mail.

3. OldMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.