Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
We have two brand new 21.5 base model iMacs. This morning we ran software update and installed the Thunderbolt 1.2 update. Both iMacs have Apple Wired USB Keyboards. Both keyboards are now completely non functional. SMC reset and PRAM reset doesn't fix it. Plugging the keyboards into other macs (with or without the 1.2 update) and they are still non functional. Spent over an hour with Apple Support and they are stumped as well and are passing this up the chain to engineering.

The USB ports are fine. If you plug a generic PC usb keyboard into the iMacs, they work.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Wow that is just bad. I can not give you a solution, but can tell you I did the update to Version 1.2 five days ago on my 27" iMac and no issues. Hope Apple can find a solution for you.

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
That makes no sense at all. Isn't I.T wonderful? :) Hope you get it sorted. I suspect most people use the wireless keyboards on these models so no doubt the issue is in limited numbers.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
It gets weirder. I plugged one of the keyboards into a 13 rMBP and it didn't work. Reset PRAM and it works. If you unplug and plug it back in it stops working, until you reset the PRAM again!

goingin87

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2013
I have the exact same issue - just did the Thunderbolt update on a new 21" iMac and now the wired Apple keyboard stopped working. Bluetooth keyboard still works, and the USB ports are also still functioning.

It seems the keyboard doesn't get power or something; the capslock-light doesn't light up when you press it.

I'll try the PRAM thing and see if that changes anything.

edit:
I called Apple Support, and they let me do the following:
1) Shut down the iMac and unplug the power cord
2) Press and hold the on/off button (while power is unplugged) for 15 seconds (SMC reset)
3) Reconnect power cord
4) Press and hold CMD-Option-P-R while pressing the on/off button until you've heard the startup chime twice (PRAM reset)
5) This solved the problem and my keyboard is working again!

Hope this solves the problem for someone else as well :)

Last edited:

goingin87

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2013
Aaaaand.... my USB keyboard stopped working again :mad: Tried the same procedure as above, but this time no luck. So please, if anyone knows another solution, post it here!

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Aaaaand.... my USB keyboard stopped working again :mad: Tried the same procedure as above, but this time no luck. So please, if anyone knows another solution, post it here!

Same thing happened on my end (we have 2 of them in the office). It works for a while then stops working for a few hours then starts working again.

When I have some time, will bring it to the genius bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.