Thunderbolt 2 to 3 cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigkevracer, Jan 4, 2017.

1. bigkevracer macrumors newbie

Has anyone seen a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 cable in the wild?

I've just ordered a 2016 MBP, and have a few Thunderbolt 2 devices. I've ordered a couple of adaptors, but with my USB cables I'm replacing the cable instead of using adaptors. Would like to do the same thing with Thunderbolt but doesn't seem to be any available.

Is there some kind of translation going on in the adaptors or something?

2. treekram macrumors 6502a

If you have (or will have) a 2016 MBP, you're talking about a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter/cable. The Apple adapter linked in the post #2 is bi-directional but I'm not sure that all such adapters would be (something to make sure of before buying). My guess as to why you might not find a cable version is that cables that meet Thunderbolt specifications are more expensive ("simple" TB-TB cables are not cheap, the "simple" is in quotes because Thunderbolt cables require electronics and are not simply wired cables) and that people that have TB2 devices already have cables so the demand for an adapter with cable would not be very high.

3. bigkevracer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah ok thanks. I ordered a pair of the Apple adaptors, just hoping to get replacement cables instead of using the adaptors.