Thunderbolt 2 wire not compatible with mini display port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Acorn, May 12, 2018.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I have a thunderbolt 2 cable that I plugged into a 2013 macbook air with thunderbolt 1 and the other side to mini display port and it did not work. Im guessing that I was wrong to assume thunderbolt 2 was backwards compatible with thunderbolt 1 and mini display port.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Where did you buy the cable from? I'm using Apple and OWC thunderbolt 2 cables and daisy-chain my 2nd monitor off an external drive enclosure with a mini-dp to dp cable.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

This is the cable I have. I bought it because I needed a really short mini display port cable. It says compatible with thunderbolt 1 so I dont know why its not working with display port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084L73QQ

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

It's a reputable brand, maybe the cable is defective. I agree, it should work.

5. chrfr macrumors 604

You need one of these cables, not a Thunderbolt cable: https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Display...0&sr=1-3&keywords=0.5m+mini+DisplayPort+cable
    Thunderbolt cables are active on both ends so they can't be used on a purely Mini Displayport device like a monitor. In short, Thunderbolt devices recognize Mini DisplayPort but Mini DisplayPort devices don't recognize Thunderbolt.

6. campyguy macrumors 68040

OP, get a mDP cable from a reputable manufacturer like Belkin/StarTech/Accell, they're not expensive and those makers are listed on the DP product portal. Look for one that specs out 5.4 (HBR2), or 8.1 Gbit/s (HBR3) per lane (21.6, or 32.4 Gbit/s for a full 4-lane link) - they should also state that they are DP 1.2/1.2a compliant. Don't buy the "compatible" products. They're much less costly than TB 1/2 cables.

Regarding your issue, TB 1/2 cables are compliant with DP 1.1 only, many newer SST displays require DP 1.2 or newer to function (including all of the Dell, Eizo, and BenQ displays in my offices and home). I've assisted members solve this very issue in these forums...

7. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

OK at least I know the cable isnt faulty than. One more cable for the pile. I appreciate everyones assistance in figuring this out. Thanks everyone.

8. RocksIRC macrumors member

how do i connect macpro 2006 to imac 27" late 2013 to share imac display. my macpro has video graphics ports dvi and minidisplayport.

9. matreya, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018

matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

According to this guide:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

You cannot use your iMac with your particular Mac Pro. sorry about that.

(edited following a re-read, prompted by chrfr's reply)

10. RocksIRC macrumors member

11. chrfr macrumors 604

The 2013 iMac only supports Target Display Mode over Thunderbolt. There's no way to use it with your Mac Pro.

12. RocksIRC macrumors member

what could i do purchase a macpro 2008? or what is the next macpro model compatible with target display mode?

13. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

No, the only Mac Pro that would work with Target Display Mode with your particular iMac is a 2013 model... aka Trash Can Mac Pro... :/

14. RocksIRC macrumors member

ok got it. i will decide on getting a 27" inch display for the macpro currently using 19". ill just upgrade the monitor.