thunderbolt 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Acorn, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I was reading the specs for the new mac pro from the mac website. it has its little tour thingy of what it will have. anyway it says it has thunderbolt 2 on it for 4k video

Does that mean the mac air since it has "old" thunderbolt that any new 4k thunderbolt display they release with the new mac pro wont work on the mac air until an update occurs with thunderbolt 2?

2. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

I might be wrong about this , but I think TB2 isn't available until later this year? I assumed that was one of the reasons (Amongst other things like potential display releases) why the Mac Pro was being held back.
    It could be that the MBA or any Notebook will get an update shortly after, but it could also be that notebooks of any size won't be able to support 4K displays and wouldn't need TB2 anyway.
    …Just guessing!

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

ok. well im concerned that when it mentions 4k displays they are hinting at a new thunderbolt 4k resolution device. since thunderbolt displays have historically been supported on all laptops i would assume the same trend.

I want a new air but not if it wont support the new thunderbolt display thats coming. Effectively I would have to buy the same model twice. once now and again after a thunderbolt 2 update.

4. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

As per Apple's website the new MBA supports one external display at a maximum resolution of the current Thunderbolt display.

5. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

the current thunderbolt display is 2 years old. Im concerned about an updated thunderbolt display which is due out with the new mac pro and the mac pro specs are suggesting 4k resolution which is higher then the current one available. Current thunderbolt 1 cannot support 4k. which is the entire reason of my post.

6. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

I doubt that Apple will replace the current TBD with a 4K display soon, as the price would be ridiculous.
    What I can imagine (and the new MBAs specs point in that direction) is an evolution of the current TBD with USB3 and the iMac's display setup. This would be the normal display for everyday use.

For those who need it Apple might launch a new 4K display (call it the new cinema display), but this will be a niche product for movie editors, designers and DTP. At a high price, though. You'd need a Mac Pro or the larger rMBP to drive them. I guess that's the reason why there are no new rMBPs yet (waiting for Thunderbolt 2).