Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have just bought a HP workstation and see that there is a slot to add a thunderbolt 2 expansion card
The only ones available are Thunderbolt 3.Would that work?i have a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.If it could be done it would be great, because i have one of those loverly Thunderbolt displays not being used.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have just bought a HP workstation and see that there is a slot to add a thunderbolt 2 expansion card
The only ones available are Thunderbolt 3.Would that work?i have a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.If it could be done it would be great, because i have one of those loverly Thunderbolt displays not being used.

You are asking about whether an hp workstation can accept a thunderbolt 3 card?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Which workstation is it? These Thunderbolt add-in cards require UEFI support to initialise and a special header on the mainboard so aren't quite "universal".

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Which workstation is it? These Thunderbolt add-in cards require UEFI support to initialise and a special header on the mainboard so aren't quite "universal".
HPZ230.
    • HP Thunderbolt PCIe Card
    • GPIO (General-Purpose Input/Output) cable
    • DisplayPort cable
    • Extra bulkhead

• Z230 Workstations

Plug the other end of the Thunderbolt cable into a Thunderbolt device, model Z230, and then plug the other end of the DisplayPort cable into a graphics card.

Plug the cable into the system board connector labeled E102.
      • Go to the HP Drivers & Support page.
      • Select the correct language.
      • Click Drivers & Downloads.
      • Type your workstation model number, Workstation, and then click Go.
      • Select your workstation.
      • Select the correct operating system.
      • Under Download index, select Driver - Controller.
      • To the right of Thunderbolt Driver and Software, click Download, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
      • Off course this is for a Thunderbolt 2 PCIe card

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Yes i realise that after watching people put them in to new cases.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
You are asking about whether an hp workstation can accept a thunderbolt 3 card?
Yes well a thunderbolt 2 one ,But it seems the only ones are for thunderbolt 3.I was hoping i could use a Thunderbolt 3 one with my Apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter .But the ones i have seen only work with a lot newer chip set than i have in my HP modal.
Oh well that was just an idea.So i will have to give that a miss. :(

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
There are/were Thunderbolt 2 add-in cards. I have one from ASRock.
Yes but Unfourtunalty they are non existent now.:(Well they are in the Uk anyway.:(That is what i need.It is a shame there is no adapter to convert the Apple Thunderbolt display from Thunderbolt to HDMI.

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
His on about Bank transfer i know nothing about it,Why can,t every country have Paypal?
I can get stuff from China and yet Germany which is a lot nearer to the UK i cant .I have canceled it anyway.When he said alternative address he meant work place.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
It's entirely up to the seller to offer PayPal.
I had no idea what a bank transfer ment untel i looked it up.It is a lot of hasal for the buyer , and no comeback if anything goes wrong.Like i said before i will stick with buying off UK sellers.No response from him about cancerling it.
I can see why sellers don,t like Paypal. It will be a hard sell finding someone to buy the T2 PCIE card.Someone else is selling one but no cabals i don,t know why the person did not take the cabals out with the PCIE card?If i was removing stuff from a PC i would.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.