Thunderbolt 27" Display to a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TXCraig, Apr 7, 2014.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Is there a adapter that I can hook my 27" Apple thunderbolt display to a PC's DVI or VGA port?

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You won't find an adaptor because a DVI port does not output the correct MDP signal, but there are convertors like this that will do what you want, but as you can see there convertors are around $90 vs. $29 for adaptors.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Weasel, are you sure or were you thinking about the 27" LED Cinema display, which looks exactly like the 27" thunderbolt display except for the ports on the back.

OP, you cannot get the ATD to work on your PC unless your PC also has thunderbolt technology. No adapter will make this work. You can, however, get the older LED Cinema display to work with different adapters or cables.

4. Weaselboy, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No, I am talking about the 27" TBD (I own one). You do not need Thunderbolt to use the TBD. That Thunderbolt cable on the TBD is the same pinout as a MDP cable and just carries a MDP signal. If you look at reviews of the device I linked you will see review from people using it with a TBD. I certainly could be mistaken and that reviewer is thinking of the ACD?

If you had a PC laptop with a built in MDP port, you could plug a TBD in directly and it would work. I have not tested this myself, but it should work.

Edit: Long thread here with folks making the same assumption I did, that the port is the same as MDP and just carries the MDP signal, but nobody in that thread can get a TBD to work plugging it in to a MDP port. So I believe you are correct jenzjen.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You might get video through the mDP connection, but the other ports (USB, FW, Ethernet) on that nice display won't work without a full TB connection.
    (disclaimer: I have not tried a TB display on a mDP port)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That makes sense to me too, but look in the Apple communities thread I linked and everybody there says no go.

7. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That would be a nice upgrade if you have a PC MOBO with the PCIe slot required and all. Interesting.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

There is nothing interesting about running an Apple Display on a PC.

10. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

How about people that want to use their apple display for their gaming machine?

11. yinz macrumors 6502a

This thread makes me glad I didn't buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display. It seems very one-dimensional. I see that with hardware and software integration, but monitors too? That just seems narrow minded.

12. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Well the dock on the back couldnt work if it wasnt thunderbolt...they do still sell the cinema display wich work on anything

----------

Also to clarify things i have a pc build with a thunderbolt equipped asus z87 deluxe and a thunderbolt display i own does work on that port. But it does not work on the mini dp output from my 7970 graphics card

13. yinz macrumors 6502a

Isn't the Cinema Display the same price as the Thunderbolt Display? That's disappointing.

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

? ?
    Where does Apple still sell the Cinema Display?
    That was discontinued October 2013, I believe, so the only current Apple-brand display is the TB Display

So, the Cinema Display would be only in Refurb store, that would sell for somewhat less than the current TB Display.

15. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Both 27" displays can be found in the refurb store from time/time, same price $799