Thunderbolt 27" Display to a PC

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Is there a adapter that I can hook my 27" Apple thunderbolt display to a PC's DVI or VGA port?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You won't find an adaptor because a DVI port does not output the correct MDP signal, but there are convertors like this that will do what you want, but as you can see there convertors are around $90 vs. $29 for adaptors.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Weasel, are you sure or were you thinking about the 27" LED Cinema display, which looks exactly like the 27" thunderbolt display except for the ports on the back.

OP, you cannot get the ATD to work on your PC unless your PC also has thunderbolt technology. No adapter will make this work. You can, however, get the older LED Cinema display to work with different adapters or cables.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weasel, are you sure or were you thinking about the 27" LED Cinema display, which looks exactly like the 27" thunderbolt display except for the ports on the back.

OP, you cannot get the ATD to work on your PC unless your PC also has thunderbolt technology. No adapter will make this work. You can, however, get the older LED Cinema display to work with different adapters or cables.
No, I am talking about the 27" TBD (I own one). You do not need Thunderbolt to use the TBD. That Thunderbolt cable on the TBD is the same pinout as a MDP cable and just carries a MDP signal. If you look at reviews of the device I linked you will see review from people using it with a TBD. I certainly could be mistaken and that reviewer is thinking of the ACD?

If you had a PC laptop with a built in MDP port, you could plug a TBD in directly and it would work. I have not tested this myself, but it should work.

Edit: Long thread here with folks making the same assumption I did, that the port is the same as MDP and just carries the MDP signal, but nobody in that thread can get a TBD to work plugging it in to a MDP port. So I believe you are correct jenzjen.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You might get video through the mDP connection, but the other ports (USB, FW, Ethernet) on that nice display won't work without a full TB connection.
(disclaimer: I have not tried a TB display on a mDP port)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, you will get video through the mDP connection, but the other ports (USB, FW, Ethernet) on that nice display won't work without a full TB connection.
That makes sense to me too, but look in the Apple communities thread I linked and everybody there says no go.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I thought it was an interesting development and posted about it on the forum this weekend... someone quickly told me it was not interesting at all
There is nothing interesting about running an Apple Display on a PC.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
This thread makes me glad I didn't buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display. It seems very one-dimensional. I see that with hardware and software integration, but monitors too? That just seems narrow minded.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
This thread makes me glad I didn't buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display. It seems very one-dimensional. I see that with hardware and software integration, but monitors too? That just seems narrow minded.
Well the dock on the back couldnt work if it wasnt thunderbolt...they do still sell the cinema display wich work on anything

----------

Also to clarify things i have a pc build with a thunderbolt equipped asus z87 deluxe and a thunderbolt display i own does work on that port. But it does not work on the mini dp output from my 7970 graphics card

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Well the dock on the back couldnt work if it wasnt thunderbolt...they do still sell the cinema display wich work on anything

----------

Also to clarify things i have a pc build with a thunderbolt equipped asus z87 deluxe and a thunderbolt display i own does work on that port. But it does not work on the mini dp output from my 7970 graphics card
Isn't the Cinema Display the same price as the Thunderbolt Display? That's disappointing.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
? ?
Where does Apple still sell the Cinema Display?
That was discontinued October 2013, I believe, so the only current Apple-brand display is the TB Display

So, the Cinema Display would be only in Refurb store, that would sell for somewhat less than the current TB Display.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
? ?
Where does Apple still sell the Cinema Display?
That was discontinued October 2013, I believe, so the only current Apple-brand display is the TB Display

So, the Cinema Display would be only in Refurb store, that would sell for somewhat less than the current TB Display.
Both 27" displays can be found in the refurb store from time/time, same price $799