Thunderbolt 27 inch Display: Hold Off, But What If...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by uvox, Jul 25, 2012.

1. uvox macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    New to forums, so be gentle please! LOK

I love the buyer recommendations on the site. Currently (Jul 2012) the Thunderbolt 27 recommendation is to hold off buying unless you really need it. I was wondering if there are any thoughts on WHAT the next version of this super display might offer (and possibly when). I am guessing this device is due a major rev, but not sure what it could support.

thoughts welcome. I realize there's always another one coming...:)

uvox

2. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Safe bet would be a simple bump up to USB3 and a change to the current Magsafe adapter to fit new MacBooks when the iMac is refreshed, which people don't seem to think will come till September-October. Design-wise, the current one is pretty great, I'd think that it will only get a major revision when the iMacs come equipped with "retina" screens, which some say could happen soon, others don't see coming for years to come. You can spend your life waiting for the next update though as you mention.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

My guess would be USB 3.0 for the next update, retina and maybe thinner after they've updated the iMac. Other than that, maybe a 22" version like the iMac or built in airplay/apple tv? Other than a superdrive I don't know what else they could with a display other than what I wrote, and as much as I would like them to, I know apple isn't putting in a superDrive.

4. Braniff747SP, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Putting in the new MagSafe would lock out all the people with new cMBPs. Would they create another adapter that would work in reverse? I could see that coming in the box... or just including the adapter they already have and keeping the old MagSafe for one more generation. USB 3 will happen, no question about that.

Edited to add: the Thunderbolt Display currently comes with a Magsafe to Magsafe 2 converter in the box. No need to change that just yet.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The fact that they didn't update the cMBPs with the new MagSafe while they did update the MacBook Airs is pretty conclusive proof this is the last generation of the cMBP.

So yes, they will DEFINITELY update to MagSafe2 on any product they expect to be around next year. Bank on that.

6. ljonesj, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

um actually they did update the cmbp to magsafe to the other version well i thought they did but the tech specs on apple web site for the classic list magsafe not magsafe 2 but i thought i saw that they did update it to magsafe 2

7. Fynd macrumors 6502

I just ordered myself a refurb @ 849.

There won't be a design change, and there won't be a retina panel in any update anytime soon IMHO. We will see USB 3. They will also keep magsafe 1 while throwing in an adapter for 2, as otherwise they would have to create yet another adapter or risk cutting out anyone with a machine older than 3 months. There's also been complaints about not having an audio jack, so that might make an appearance.

Personally, I have no use for USB 3 on my display. Likewise with an audio jack, as I'll be using my Xonar U3 USB sound card in one of the USB ports.

8. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I mentioned it because locking out owners of old stuff is Apple's MO. But, I was floored when Tim brought out the classic MBPs alongside the new rMBP, that seemed to me a very un-Apple thing to do, so perhaps their attitude has shifted from what was always a bit of an arrogant "progress or die!" approach (RIP Steve).

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

USB 3 is a safe bet. beyond that I think it'll stay as is.

10. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

'Progress or die' is fine... when you don't sell the product anymore. When you do, you can't do that.

11. su0301 macrumors newbie

Just bought a rMBP and need a thunderbolt display as an external monitor. Given that there is only a couple of months ahead, I'd wait for the new one.

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

The only real changes I can see them making is USB 3. I think it's too soon for Retina, and I really don't think the TBD needs it. As for Magsafe 2, too soon for that as well, seeing as how only the rMBP and 2012 MBA have Magsafe 2 while regular MBP only have Magsafe 1. Next year we'll probably see Magesafe 2 as the standard.

Also keep in mind the TBD was last refreshed September 2011, and the time before that July 2010. I can see them coming between the next couple weeks and the fall.

13. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

My guess... it'll get the same antiglare treatment as the rMBP has, that and USB 3.0

The iMacs might get a resolution bump, its all dedicated graphics, so they won't have any problems pushing hight res screens. I don't think we'll see retina PPI density, but it might be bumped a bit... I would like to see this, if its going to happend... well, my guess is not.

I'm looking into replacing my desktop PC with 2x24" samsung screens with my new rMBP and a single 27" TB Display. I'm going to hold off until the iMac refresh

14. Glockron macrumors member

I think USB 3.0 is pretty much certain.
    They'll need some way to support both MagSafe 1 & 2

As Apple is moving away from ODDs in their portables - perhaps they'll have a superdrive? If not - they'll probs try to make the whole thing thinner, or include something else

15. Liquinn Suspended

Damn, the Thunderbolt Display is on "Don't buy" :/

Mine's going to be out of date soon then, ahh well. They can't really do an awful lot to it :p

16. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

Definitely refurb or BB OB if you're buying now. I'd venture the next major upgrade is the 32 retina and that's quite far off. Unless we are pleasantly surprised early that is.

17. edk99 macrumors 6502a

USB 3.0 and the same anti-glare technology used in the rMBP. I can't imagine them removing any ports like firewire this go around. Probably next refresh though. I think the resolution will stay the same too.

18. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

I was just thinking, on 2011 MBP, would it still support USB 3.0 Speeds if I connect it directly to that thunderbolt display?