Thunderbolt 27in or Cinema Display 30in for my 2011 MBA??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shaodeee, Feb 7, 2012.

1. shaodeee macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm having trouble deciding whether to pick up a new thunderbolt display 27in or getting the older 30' Cinema Display for my 2011 Thunderbolt MBA. I've basically broken it down to a list of pros and cons for each display and I still haven't been able to decide. If you guys have any input or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Price - I can get them both used for about the same price on my local Craigslist ($800-900).
    Winner - Tie

Tech - Obviously the Thunderbolt with its newer technology and the ability to plug and play with the MBA is a big plus.
    Winner - Thunderbolt

Looks - I definitely prefer the Matte display of the Cinema as opposed to the glossy Thunderbolt. The aluminium casing of the Cinema also looks pretty badass and timeless.
    Winner - Cinema

Warranty - The cinema I'd be buying would have no warranty obviously but the Thunderbolt even though its used should have 8-10 months of warranty left.
    Winner - Thunderbolt

Screen size - This one is obvious.
    Winner - Cinema

Display Issues - Seems like a lot of people have been having issues with the Thunderbolt display not working right. Has it been fixed or is it pretty much the luck of the draw? I haven't really seen any setups on the web with the MBA driving the 30in cinema, if you have one please post one up.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Don't forget the $100 adapter you'll need for the 30". Everything else is purely subjective. You like matte? Get the Cinema. You want a bigger display? Get the Cinema. You want a docking station? Get the Thunderbolt. I didn't have any issues with my Thunderbolt display.

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

Thunderbolt Display also has:
    • FaceTime HD camera
    • Microphone
    • 2.1 channel speakers
    • Introduces FireWire 800 and gigabit Ethernet ports
    • Higher pixel density (109 vs 102)
    • Ability to use dual Thunderbolt Displays if you have MBP and other capable Macs
    • Can charge your MBA (it's like getting a free charger)
    • You can get a brand new panel without any wear and tear for about $950

You lose some vertical resolution, but having used both, it's not that noticeable.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I sold my 30" in favor of the Thunderbolt. I don't regret my decision.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I plan on sticking with Apple for a while... and I suspect that their products will all be TB enabled for the foreseeable future. Personally, I would rather go where the puck is going... rather than where it has been.

/Jim

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I went with the 30", but i'm not using it with a Desktop.

My decision was base solely on the Matte vs Glossy display.

If they offered a Matte Thunderbolt, I'd have done that.

7. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I got my 3.5 yr old 30" ACD for 670 for my macpro with a brand new dual link dvi adaptor. I'll still take it over any TB displays now. Matte!

8. joshsage macrumors newbie

I would go for the TB for the extra amenities it offers