Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
As already stated, USB4 doesn’t mandate Thunderbolt support. You can get 20Gbps over USB-C using dual 10Gbps USB 3 streams. USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or whatever word salad they are calling it. Really USB4 is: Mandated USB-C + Optional TB3.

Help me out here as I am a little confused. I understand that USB 4 does NOT mandate full TB3 support (e.g., PCIe over USB 4 is optional), but based on the IF's description, why does Apple's implementation of USB 4 NOT seem to support USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps)? If USB 4 uses the same dual stream design, what gives?

When configured over a USB Type-C® connector interface, USB4 functionally replaces USB 3.2
while retaining USB 2.0 bus operating in parallel. Enhanced SuperSpeed USB, as defined in USB
3.2, remains the fundamental architecture for USB data transfer on a USB4 Fabric. The
difference with USB4 versus USB 3.2 is that USB4 is a connection-oriented, tunneling
architecture designed to combine multiple protocols onto a single physical interface, so that the
total speed and performance of the USB4 Fabric can be dynamically shared. USB4 allows for USB
data transfers to operate in parallel with other independent protocols specific to display,
load/store and host-to-host interfaces. Additionally, USB4 extends performance beyond the 20
Gbps (Gen 2 x 2) of USB 3.2 to 40 Gbps (Gen 3 X 2) over the same dual-lane, dual-simplex
architecture.

Further, this seems to also imply 3.2 Gen 2x2 compatibility, even though it only says 3.2 and does not explicitly say 2x2?

Figure 2-1 illustrates the dual bus architecture of USB 3.2 as augmented by USB4. As
architected, backward compatibility is supported with minimum interoperability starting at USB
2.0, working up through USB 3.2, and finally up to USB4 based on the highest common bus level
supported across the interconnected components.

Finally, they state this - does this imply that 20 Gbps USB 4 is fundamentally different from 20 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2x2?
1607133483939.png

My understanding here is limited...what am I missing? Please forgive my ignorance on the topic if this does not make sense.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
why does Apple's implementation of USB 4 NOT seem to support USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps)
Because USB4 does not mandate that either.
The USB4 Gen2x2 is not the same thing as USB3.2 Gen2x2, although they do have same speed and similar name.
You should ask USB-IF why they keep confusing users with such a bad naming scheme.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Because USB4 does not mandate that either.
The USB4 Gen2x2 is not the same thing as USB3.2 Gen2x2, although they do have same speed and similar name.
You should ask USB-IF why they keep confusing users with such a bad naming scheme.

My head is exploding from their naming scheme and how many different optional specs there are. There are more options with USB 4 than you find on some German luxury automobiles.

If Apple did not implement 3.2 Gen 2x2, does that suggest they most likely feel that the industry will largely skip 3.2 Gen 2x2 and just move straight to building USB 4 Gen 2x2 peripherals?

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
My head is exploding from their naming scheme and how many different optional specs there are. There are more options with USB 4 than you find on some German luxury automobiles.

If Apple did not implement 3.2 Gen 2x2, does that suggest they most likely feel that the industry will largely skip 3.2 Gen 2x2 and just move straight to building USB 4 Gen 2x2 peripherals?
I think Apple just prefer Thunderbolt than other optional features, as Apple is one of the largest Thunderbolt promoter.

Frixos

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020

Teardown confirms the SKU number

Here is a blog article from Otherworld Computing by one of their people who writes and debugs storage drivers:

THUNDERBOLT ON THE M1 MAC MINI – WHEN 2 ACTUALLY DOES EQUAL 4

Are these saying M1 uses TB4? I thought M1 uses TB3?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Things get pretty messy here, which is why I didn't say anything about the Ice Lake 13" MBP. There's no teardown floating around of the 2020, nor can I find any good images of the logic board to confirm what chips Apple has used. I haven't seen a system report from one of these machines yet either describing the number of TB buses available.

Unfortunately, Intel doesn't publicly share tech docs so I can't go delving there either. So really the best source I can find is Wikichip: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/ice_lake_(client)#Thunderbolt_IO_subsystem

It looks like the subsystem does support four physical ports, provided you include the retimers for each port. The logic for two ports is consolidated into a single logic block that is duplicated. Since this replaces some of the PCIe lanes that would normally be external I/O, and can also share lines with what would normally be USB-C ports, they probably are more trading off PCIe pins for TB3/USB-C pins.

That said, this source is also clearly flawed and having to make some guesses. It makes the following wrong claim: "Like Titan Ridge, each retimer supports two ports. The retimers themselves are still only sold by Intel but they are a fraction of the size, so there is also a modest board space saving advantage as well." Intel produces no retimer currently that supports two ports, and two retimers look an awful lot like a Titan Ridge controller in terms of foot print when looking at them on M1 systems. Whoops.

So, taking that with a grain of salt, the answer is: I don't know for sure, but I suspect we'd see 4 retimers on the logic board.

Either way, how Ice Lake does it doesn't really mean Apple has to do it the same way. Again, using their own designs means they have full control. But we also don't exactly have precedent from Apple to speculate too much with. They could follow Intel and just expose 4 ports of physical I/O off the chip.
Oh totally. I know that Apple doesn't have to copy Intel. I was just curious as to how M1's implementation differed from Ice Lake's (at least on the 2020 Intel 4-port 13" MacBook Pro; I have no clue if it's the same on the 2020 Intel Air or not) as I know that even the implementation of it on the 2020 4-port 13" MacBook Pro differs from that of pretty much every other Thunderbolt-equipped Intel based Mac that has ever existed before or since.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Oh totally. I know that Apple doesn't have to copy Intel. I was just curious as to how M1's implementation differed from Ice Lake's (at least on the 2020 Intel 4-port 13" MacBook Pro; I have no clue if it's the same on the 2020 Intel Air or not) as I know that even the implementation of it on the 2020 4-port 13" MacBook Pro differs from that of pretty much every other Thunderbolt-equipped Intel based Mac that has ever existed before or since.

As said, we probably will never know for sure. But it’s likely going to look more like Ice Lake than older designs using Titan Ridge or Alpine Ridge controllers.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Are these saying M1 uses TB4? I thought M1 uses TB3?
The OWC one seems to indicate that it's not officially Thunderbolt 4, but it DOES offer support for the Thunderbolt Hubs feature of Thunderbolt 4.

It kind of sounds like Apple is able to take whatever features they want from Thunderbolt 3 or 4 and lump it in (similarly to how it seems they're doing with USB 4), which is why they don't market their ports as "Thunderbolt 3/USB 4" or "Thunderbolt 4/USB 4" but rather "Thunderbolt/USB 4". They're at least offering no different in terms of feature support from Intel Macs with Thunderbolt 3, but it also seems as though they're defining what features do and don't get implemented now that it (at least seems like it) is designing their own custom Thunderbolt controller.

That's the thing that's both simultaneously awesome and annoying/terrifying about these new Apple Silicon Macs; Apple can just customize everything to the way they want since they now control the hardware and the software.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The TB3 compatibility of USB4 hosts are "optional", not "required", per USB-IF. In other words, not all USB4 ports can work with Thunderbolt3 devices.
TB3 is easier to be verified than USB4 at the moment, because we have tons of Thunderbolt devices out there, but we have no USB4 device now.
The whole set of TB3 / USB4 / USB-C standards is just the absolute messiest and most confusing thing in the world to me.

Reactions: deeddawg and DVD9

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Apple not naming the port TB4 is likely due to the required certification that they don't want to do with their own implementations.
But form an intial high level look at it: it looks like most (if not all) of the TB4 features are implemented in the M1 machines, including the support of TB hubs.

Reactions: jdb8167

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Apple not naming the port TB4 is likely due to the required certification that they don't want to do with their own implementations.
But form an intial high level look at it: it looks like most (if not all) of the TB4 features are implemented in the M1 machines, including the support of TB hubs.

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think you need Thunderbolt 4 for the hubs. It relies on a new dock/hub side controller chip that supports 4 ports. Since it’s doing all the work to mux the data, much like daisy chaining using devices with two ports does, it’s possible you don’t even need the host to support it explicitly, and instead it just looks like any other daisy chain. Depends a bit on how addressing works over the Thunderbolt bus.

For the most part, Thunderbolt 4 is really just Thunderbolt 3 with more strict requirements on minimum functionality.

Reactions: jdb8167

Sarpanch

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
SoCal
Apple's tech specs are pretty clear. You get up to 10 Gb/s with USB 3.1 Gen 2. There is no mention of 20 Gb/s. View attachment 1687565

That’s very interesting. I know that USB4 does not require devices to officially support 40Gb/s speed, but don’t they require support for atleast 20Gb/s?

Also if M1 ports are USB 4, but only offer 10Gb/s max USB speeds, then what special characteristic of USB4 are they offering?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
That’s very interesting. I know that USB4 does not require devices to officially support 40Gb/s speed, but don’t they require support for atleast 20Gb/s?

Also if M1 ports are USB 4, but only offer 10Gb/s max USB speeds, then what special characteristic of USB4 are they offering?
I think that the USB4 part is a slightly modified version of Thunderbolt 3. But since there aren't any USB4 devices yet I don't think anyone really knows what the ports can do. Apple makes no claims at all for USB4 on the technical specs page. For now, if you need over 10 Gb/s you need TB3 compatibility.

Reactions: Sarpanch

Frixos

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
I think that the USB4 part is a slightly modified version of Thunderbolt 3. But since there aren't any USB4 devices yet I don't think anyone really knows what the ports can do. Apple makes no claims at all for USB4 on the technical specs page. For now, if you need over 10 Gb/s you need TB3 compatibility.
The tech specs page says:

Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports with support for:

• Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40Gb/s)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
The tech specs page says:

Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports with support for:

• Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40Gb/s)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)
You mean like what I posted 3 posts before yours? :D

USB4 is a new thing. It is mostly about tunneling other protocols. So DisplayPort up to 1.4. USB3.2 Gen 2 but 20 Gb/s is optional and Apple is clearly not supporting it. Thunderbolt 3 up to 40 Gb/s. But then there is this USB4 20 Gb/s and USB4 40 Gb/s. These are required by the USB4 spec (I think) but Apple doesn't make mention of them. So I don't know what that means. Do you?

Frixos

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
You mean like what I posted 3 posts before yours? :D

USB4 is a new thing. It is mostly about tunneling other protocols. So DisplayPort up to 1.4. USB3.2 Gen 2 but 20 Gb/s is optional and Apple is clearly not supporting it. Thunderbolt 3 up to 40 Gb/s. But then there is this USB4 20 Gb/s and USB4 40 Gb/s. These are required by the USB4 spec (I think) but Apple doesn't make mention of them. So I don't know what that means. Do you?
Ha! I missed that.

I’m honestly very confused.
I think it’s safe to say:
if I use USB 3.x device I’ll get at most 10gb.
If I use thunderbolt 3 I’ll get the 40.
If I use a future USB 4 device... who knows?

Sarpanch

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
SoCal
Ha! I missed that.

I’m honestly very confused.
I think it’s safe to say:
if I use USB 3.x device I’ll get at most 10gb.
If I use thunderbolt 3 I’ll get the 40.
If I use a future USB 4 device... who knows?

Very aptly summarized.

However, there is a little twist for 3.1 Gen 2 based on initial testing.

Some USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices are working only at 5Gb/s (instead of 10 as on Intel Macs) e.g. Samsung T5, external SATA SSD enclosures (More info)

While other 3.1 Gen 2 devices (or 3.2 Gen 2 devices) are working at 10Gb/s, e.g Samsung T7, SanDisk Extreme SSD V2

I hope it is a driver issue which Apple can fix in a future release.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020

Yes, the IF Spec shows:

1607234833442.png

So presumably if Apple is claiming these are USB 4 ports, they should support 20 Gbps when USB 4 (Gen 2x2) devices start hitting the market even though they are not fully backwards compatible with USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 devices at the full 20 Gbps (as the term they use "Enhanced SuperSpeed Host" I believe can refer to either the 10 Gbps or 20 Gbps USB 3.2). As we know these M1 Macs also have a PCIe controller, I assume that USB 4 (Gen 3x2) docks, hubs, and peripherals, when connected to a M1 Mac, should support the full 40 Gbps.

You just have to laugh at how everyone kept telling us in 2016 that USB-C would simplify everything. Oh it sure simplified things alright.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I couldn’t help but notice the irony in the Copyright text ?

View attachment 1687725

LOL!

They really need to hire a staff member who specializes in communications. It looks like they have not only managed to confuse all of us, but that they have also managed to even confuse themselves.

The amount of USB rebranding and renaming literally makes my head hurt. They have one of the most ubiquitous products in the world, and yet the way that they manage that product family is just absolutely chaotic.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Oh totally. I know that Apple doesn't have to copy Intel. I was just curious as to how M1's implementation differed from Ice Lake's (at least on the 2020 Intel 4-port 13" MacBook Pro; I have no clue if it's the same on the 2020 Intel Air or not)

They probably have a substantive overall design goal overlap because of this:

"...The other upside to the tightly coupled integration is that Intel stated that this method of TB3 is a lot more power efficient that current external chip implementations. However they wouldn’t comment on the exact power draw of the TB3 block on the chip as it corresponds to the full TDP of the design, especially in relation to localized thermal density (Intel was initially very confused by my question on this, ultimately saying that the power per bit was lower compared to the external chip, so overall system power was lower – they seemed more interested in discussing system power over chip power). Intel did state that the difference between an idle and a fully used link was 300 mW, which suggests that if all four links are in play, we’re looking at 1.2 W. ..."

Integrating allows Apple to lower the power budget. They don't have to exactly copy Intel's implementation, but if there is a power consumption win out of it they are probably all over it.

The host targeted TBv3 controller is 2.4W .

The TBv4 retimer 0.75W

So four ports with the legacy TBv3 style with discrete controllers : ~ 5W
Four ports with the new integrated+retimer style : ~ 2.7W ( 1.2 + 1.5 )

So in the rough ballpark of being a 50% power reduction. If you put that 'carrot' out in front of Apple they are probably going to go chase it. ( even more so if can trim some optional USB4 stuff and eek out some more savings.). It wasn't a question of whether Apple was eventually going to do down this route, but more a question of how soon.

These internal TB controllers are somewhat of a balloon squeeze though. For example :

800px-ice_lake_io_subsystem.svg.png

When load up 3-4 6K displays and 2-3 PCI-e x4 v3 and core-to-PCH demands upon the backbone fabric is the overall throughput going to be there? Apple's fabric only has one DPv1.4 stream on it. Probably in part due to limitations of the GPU subsystem. But with better GPU display output systems attached to a unified backbone fabric just how much headroom is there going to be?

The real gap between Apple's and Intel's embedded implementations probably won't be exposed until Apple delivers some 4 port provisioned systems. If they add just one more DPv1.4 stream and Intel is sitting on four streams then that will be a gap. Apple will probably point to two XDR's is as many as most folks need so it is a more than reasonable trade-off.

Since Apple is the only system vendor customer that Intel has who regularly implemented systems with > 2 Thunderbolt ports , there is a pretty high probability that Apple was at least partially behind Intel implementing a basic 4 port TB implementation with their embedded solution. Most of their customers wre only going with 2, so Intel doing 4 was aimed at the general status quo. ( more so trying to get folks to move up in ports provisioned. )

So was Apple asking Intel to do four ports while at the same time doing the same internally. Probably. Would that lead to very similar looking implementations from the outside looking in? Yes. If they handed Intel the same general specification objectives as a "wish list" as they were using themselves... why would the implementations differ by a large amount from the external viewpoint?

I don't think going to settle question of whose implementation is "copying" or "proceeded" the other. When AMD weaves in ASMedia TB implementation library ( or does their own) when veiwed from outside the SoC package theirs too will probably have a high degree of similarities. (Especially if will try to go for Thunderbolt v4 certification eventually. )

Pragmatically TBv3 weaved in a XHCI USB "superspeed" controller into the TB controller package. If look at the M1 Mac's system report for USB there is an Apple-XCHI controller listed. Perhaps someone else's library design serving as the baseline design but Apple has put there "stamp" on the controller. ( how much they did "from scratch" or not is probably isn't all that material in the end. )

as I know that even the implementation of it on the 2020 4-port 13" MacBook Pro differs from that of pretty much every other Thunderbolt-equipped Intel based Mac that has ever existed before or since.

Yeah. A bit of a head scratchier why OWC's comparison didn't use that. Although in some sense, not surprising if trying to promote what a "huge difference" the M1 is (and make Apple more happy). The legacy implementation style is more indicative of most of the Macs out there.

I

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
So four ports with the legacy TBv3 style with discrete controllers : ~ 5W
Four ports with the new integrated+retimer style : ~ 2.7W ( 1.2 + 1.5 )

So in the rough ballpark of being a 50% power reduction. If you put that 'carrot' out in front of Apple they are probably going to go chase it. ( even more so if can trim some optional USB4 stuff and eek out some more savings.). It wasn't a question of whether Apple was eventually going to do down this route, but more a question of how soon.

So, the napkin math isn’t quite that good. Again, the retimer is a single port part. You need four in your example, not two.

So it’s more like 4.2W, vs 5W.

There’s still a modest power savings, but there’s also the savings of not having to route all that I/O to be muxed off chip. As well as being able to integrate the controllers into the unified memory architecture for DMA purposes. Possibly some security benefits of that last one depending on how it is implemented.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
So, the napkin math isn’t quite that good. Again, the retimer is a single port part. You need four in your example, not two.
No. The Intel Retimer handles two ports. Apple is just using them in a mode that likely indicates will just change the traces when go to a four port model upgrades on the MBP 13" and probably "best, better" Mini varaints (that don't backslide on ports).

Apple has a four port controller embedded. They just aren't using it "all" inside or at the retimers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.