Thunderbolt 3 Dock --> Thunderbolt 2 Macbook Pro

bgro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I'm looking to get a dock to connect all my peripherals and then connect the dock to my 2014 Macbook Pro 13". I understand I can get a Thunderbolt 2 dock and be done but I'd like to futureproof my dock purchase as I plan on upgrading my Macbook Pro in the next 2-3 years. Been searching and can't find a clear answer on this:

Can I connect my peripherals to the Thunderbolt 3 dock and then the dock to my thunderbolt 2 equipped Macbook Pro?

Thinking about this dock https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Thu...1526744759&sr=8-6&keywords=thunderbolt+3+dock

My setup would be as follows:
Macbook - Thunderbolt 2 --> Thunderbolt 3 on dock
Monitor 1 - Display port --> Display port on dock
Monitor 2 - Display port --> Thunderbolt 3 on dock
USB peripherals --> USB ports on dock

I understand that if this setup worked I would still have to charge my macbook using the magsafe charger.

Would this work?

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I'm looking to get a dock to connect all my peripherals and then connect the dock to my 2014 Macbook Pro 13". I understand I can get a Thunderbolt 2 dock and be done but I'd like to futureproof my dock purchase as I plan on upgrading my Macbook Pro in the next 2-3 years. Been searching and can't find a clear answer on this:

Can I connect my peripherals to the Thunderbolt 3 dock and then the dock to my thunderbolt 2 equipped Macbook Pro?

Thinking about this dock https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Thu...1526744759&sr=8-6&keywords=thunderbolt+3+dock

My setup would be as follows:
Macbook - Thunderbolt 2 --> Thunderbolt 3 on dock
Monitor 1 - Display port --> Display port on dock
Monitor 2 - Display port --> Thunderbolt 3 on dock
USB peripherals --> USB ports on dock

I understand that if this setup worked I would still have to charge my macbook using the magsafe charger.

Would this work?
Thunderbolt 3 dock should work. Most new ports are backwards compatible with older ones.

Reactions: chabig

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
On the Amazon link you provided, on the 8th page of questions, Plugable says that this requires a TB3 system, thus using a TB3-to-TB2 adapter (the Apple one is supposed to be bi-directionaly) will not work with this dock - according to Plugable.

I've got a 2015 macbook pro with thunderbolt 2. will this work as a doc for that with an adapter ? wish it had a thunderbolt2/mini dp.

Answer:
MANUFACTURER ANSWER: Thanks for asking! Unfortunately no -- this requires a compatible Thunderbolt 3 host system. Plugable does not make any Thunderbolt 2 docks, but there are several options from other vendors you may wish to consider.

This was from Dec. 2017. I don't think the answer would have changed - but Plugable has been responding to questions on Amazon so you can ask again and see what Plugable says.

Reactions: green86

bgro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Thanks..still looking for options..hard to find an answer. Probably just order a few to see if they work..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.