Thunderbolt 3 Dock --> Thunderbolt 2 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bgro, May 19, 2018.

1. bgro macrumors 65816

I'm looking to get a dock to connect all my peripherals and then connect the dock to my 2014 Macbook Pro 13". I understand I can get a Thunderbolt 2 dock and be done but I'd like to futureproof my dock purchase as I plan on upgrading my Macbook Pro in the next 2-3 years. Been searching and can't find a clear answer on this:

Can I connect my peripherals to the Thunderbolt 3 dock and then the dock to my thunderbolt 2 equipped Macbook Pro?

Thinking about this dock https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Thu...1526744759&sr=8-6&keywords=thunderbolt+3+dock

My setup would be as follows:
    Macbook - Thunderbolt 2 --> Thunderbolt 3 on dock
    Monitor 1 - Display port --> Display port on dock
    Monitor 2 - Display port --> Thunderbolt 3 on dock
    USB peripherals --> USB ports on dock

I understand that if this setup worked I would still have to charge my macbook using the magsafe charger.

Would this work?

2. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

Thunderbolt 3 dock should work. Most new ports are backwards compatible with older ones.

3. treekram macrumors 68000

On the Amazon link you provided, on the 8th page of questions, Plugable says that this requires a TB3 system, thus using a TB3-to-TB2 adapter (the Apple one is supposed to be bi-directionaly) will not work with this dock - according to Plugable.

I've got a 2015 macbook pro with thunderbolt 2. will this work as a doc for that with an adapter ? wish it had a thunderbolt2/mini dp.

Answer:
    MANUFACTURER ANSWER: Thanks for asking! Unfortunately no -- this requires a compatible Thunderbolt 3 host system. Plugable does not make any Thunderbolt 2 docks, but there are several options from other vendors you may wish to consider.

This was from Dec. 2017. I don't think the answer would have changed - but Plugable has been responding to questions on Amazon so you can ask again and see what Plugable says.

4. bgro thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks..still looking for options..hard to find an answer. Probably just order a few to see if they work..