Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ridgero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Hey there

Can I connect a Thunderbolt 3 Dock (with the Apple TB 2 adapter) to my Mac Pro 2013? If so, can I use the dock's "USB C Port"?

Thanks in advance

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Hey there

Can I connect a Thunderbolt 3 Dock (with the Apple TB 2 adapter) to my Mac Pro 2013? If so, can I use the dock's "USB C Port"?

Thanks in advance

Most probably, as long as it's a TB3 dock and not a UCB-C dock. I have a TB3 eGPU connected through that adapter and it works fine. Other networking/USB devices connected to the eGPU also work without issues.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey there

Thanks in advance
As long as you have a powered dock (something which has its own power plug,) you can use it with the adapter. I'm not sure about the USB-C ports, however. Caldigit provides this document about their docks, but it doesn't specifically address USB-C functionality. https://www.caldigit.com/is-my-cald...ble-with-apple-thunderbolt-1-and-2-computers/

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Can I connect a Thunderbolt 3 Dock (with the Apple TB 2 adapter) to my Mac Pro 2013? If so, can I use the dock's "USB C Port"?"

If you can, it seems like an awfully expensive road to take, to just get a USBc port out of it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.