Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
I'm looking for a Thunderbolt 3 dock that will allow me to connect two 1080p monitors via HDMI with passthrough charging via a single cable. I have a 15" MacBook Pro, so I would prefer the 87-watt or whatever it is, and the ability to change over to 4K down the road should I decide to go that route eventually.

Currently I use two Apple Display Adapters and it is a royal pain. I just want to plug one cable and be done.

I'm leaning toward the OWC Thunderbolt 3 14-port dock, but I want to make sure I'm going with the best option.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
It doesn’t look like the OWC has two HDMIs, or even two display ports for better setups down the line.

I’m using the CalDigit TS3 and think it’s much better. You get a full sized DisplayPort that you can adapt to HDMI and upgrade in the future to 4K with, and an additional USB C port that you can plug a $20 adapter into for HDMI. And more ports and a better design.

Also, it’s $249 vs OWC’s $295.

OWC: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock

CalDigit:

Here’s my setup over a single cable with two hard disks, an SSD, speakers, microphone, one 4K display and one 1200p one.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
The OWC one does have a mini display port. Can I not do 4K through that? I only ask because I already have a mini display to HDMI, so my plan would be to run one monitor off the mini dp and another through either the extra Thunderbolt or USB-C port. Assuming that would accomplish the same thing you’re doing.

I have looked at the CalDigit dock though, it have shied away because I’d have to buy another dongle on top of it.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
That makes sense. If I can change your mind the CalDigit’s cheaper by $46 and the cost of the adapter is less *and* you get an extra USB C port for the second monitor and can still pass through in the future with the CalDigit.

(That sounded like an ad and as much as I’d like to say I work for them or am sponsored that’s unfortunately not true. Just genuinely think it’s a better setup.)

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
That makes sense. If I can change your mind the CalDigit’s cheaper by $46 and the cost of the adapter is less *and* you get an extra USB C port for the second monitor and can still pass through in the future with the CalDigit.

(That sounded like an ad and as much as I’d like to say I work for them or am sponsored that’s unfortunately not true. Just genuinely think it’s a better setup.)

Did just that. Ordered the CalDigit and the adapter. Separate audio input and smaller footprint, along with the 87 watt charging won me over. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Jablonskitravels

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
I originally had the OWC TB2 dock and it worked good but if you can daisy chain you dont really need a dock from what I have learned. Have you checked your path? I have all my UAD stuff plus a Raid5 OWC thunderbay chained and its great.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
I originally had the OWC TB2 dock and it worked good but if you can daisy chain you dont really need a dock from what I have learned. Have you checked your path? I have all my UAD stuff plus a Raid5 OWC thunderbay chained and its great.
No Daisy Chain available for me. Just cheap 1080p monitors off HDMI.

Anyone know if the CalDigit dock can run three 1080 monitors? I don't have three, but just curious for future reference.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
No Daisy Chain available for me. Just cheap 1080p monitors off HDMI.

Anyone know if the CalDigit dock can run three 1080 monitors? I don't have three, but just curious for future reference.

1: DisplayPort
2: USB C
3: Thunderbolt 3

2, 3 can be adapted to DisplayPort, HDMI, etc.

Correction (apologies): Looks like no.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
It doesn’t look like the OWC has two HDMIs, or even two display ports for better setups down the line.

I’m using the CalDigit TS3 and think it’s much better. You get a full sized DisplayPort that you can adapt to HDMI and upgrade in the future to 4K with, and an additional USB C port that you can plug a $20 adapter into for HDMI. And more ports and a better design.

Also, it’s $249 vs OWC’s $295.

OWC: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock

CalDigit:

Here’s my setup over a single cable with two hard disks, an SSD, speakers, microphone, one 4K display and one 1200p one.

I am going to get the CalDigt TS3 Plus after watching videos on utube and this one where the guy says it is cheaper to buy from there site than Amazon, and that i could get a refurbished one a lot cheaper which is what i am going to do.:)
I enjoy your channel you have a good set up there. :) I did not realise you were so young.:rolleyes:You are a very knowlageable person.Can you answer this i can,t download *Win to usb

Safari can’t open the file. what can open the file?i have been unable to do it on my 2017 IMAC and was able to do it on my 2012 Mac Mini.

:)

• Love

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Us this to make a boot camp installer?

On some Macs I’ve seen this work:

On others you just open Bootcamp and select the downloaded .iso and the Mac does everything else.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Us this to make a boot camp installer?

On some Macs I’ve seen this work:

On others you just open Bootcamp and select the downloaded .iso and the Mac does everything else.
Unfortunately, I don,t have that option on my 2017 IMAC. I tried it on my 2012 Mac Mini but when I went to install it said it could not install on a USB but I put it on a 256 SSD because I have mislaid my flash drives I put them in an envelope somewhere.:( Will, it only work with a flash drive? I am trying to get Windows on an external drive but can,t do it because I can,t download Win to USB With either VM WARE Fusion or Paralis Desktop.
I have a Windows Bootcamp on a T5 SSD but it want work on my 2017 IMAC.
I realize it would not work as it should anyway because it was done on a different MAC.
As people have said on here.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Unfortunately, I don,t have that option on my 2017 IMAC. I tried it on my 2012 Mac Mini but when I went to install it said it could not install on a USB but I put it on a 256 SSD because I have mislaid my flash drives I put them in an envelope somewhere.:( Will, it only work with a flash drive? I am trying to get Windows on an external drive but can,t do it because I can,t download Win to USB With either VM WARE Fusion or Paralis Desktop.
I have a Windows Bootcamp on a T5 SSD but it want work on my 2017 IMAC.
I realize it would not work as it should anyway because it was done on a different MAC.
As people have said on here.
I tried it on my Mac MINI it has that option on there ,i used a 256 SSD it said you can,t use it with a USB? because it is not NTFS what if i made it MS DOS in disk utility?Is it a question of it only working with a flash drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.