Thunderbolt 3 -> HDMI 4K at 60Hz solution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karpovpw, Apr 27, 2017.

1. karpovpw macrumors newbie

So about a year ago we get HDMI Alt Mode for USB Type-C specification:http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/HDMIAltModeUSBTypeC.aspx

When Thunderbolt 3 connection appears, it seems that the DisplayPort controller supports dual-mode, which allows DP to emit an HDMI signal.

Today I start to google some cable/adapter to connect 4k TV to my MBP 13" nTB at 60Hz and, well, all I see is active adapters USB-C->HDMI 2.0 and then HDMI->HDMI cable solution.

I want to ask people, who already on the train - what is the simplest solution to achieve this kind of connection in 2k17? Thanks in advance.

2. karpovpw thread starter macrumors newbie

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

4. Fishrrman, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

Search on amazon for "Club 3d" products.
    They are known to work (read the reviews to be sure).

I think you need a minidisplayport to HDMI 2.0 adapter.
    You'll also need a "high-speed" HDMI cable as well.

The item you listed in post 2 above looks like it -might- do the job, but there are no user reviews posted at all. Are you willing to take a chance?

Addendum:
    You MUST have an HDMI 2.0 port on the tv/display. Earlier versions of HDMI are only going to give you 30hz.

5. DanDilla macrumors member

DanDilla

You must have a HDMI2.0 display, as mentioned before and need an active Adapter/ Cable to convert the DP signal to HDMI

I'm using this one, but I had to manually "extract" the timing from the displays' EDID and insert a custom timing setting with SwitchResX.
    It's pretty much just getting the file, scrolling to the end and get the info for the 4k60hz stream and put it in switchresx custom timing/ frequencies.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B019070UK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rWmbzbCPPFQ0S