Thunderbolt 3 (officially) supports external GPUs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vanlam, Jun 2, 2015.

1. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Heh, now people will complain that their Macbook Retina doesn't saturate an Nvidia 980 card. :D

But, pretty cool.

2. ooans macrumors 6502

3. mcarling macrumors 65816

I predict that will be the end of internal discrete GPUs in MBPs. The 99% will no longer have to pay for something they don't need.

4. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think I'll wait for the iMac update then with tb3. Can make it a beast gam9ng machine lol

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

I wouldn't put your hopes up too much at the moment as there will be limitations. Let's wait for an actual review first. The one thing I could foresee is Apple limiting the GPUs to mac versions of GPUs like they did for MPs in the past.

If it is as good as it sounds, it will be awesome and could be the turning point for Macs being useful for gaming since you can add any GPUs you want, upgrade it over time without replacing your laptop.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I look forward to one day buying a rMBP 15" with Iris Pro graphics and a thunderbolt dock from nvidia with TB3 and their latest midrange graphics card built-in. Now, they have all the pieces in place to do this.

Apple would more likely put a high-end GPU into their 5k monitor and sell it as an upgrade. That way, they don't have to worry about TB3 being limited to DP1.2, as they just have to transfer GPU data back and forth instead. I just hope they include a way to upgrade the GPU inside.

7. john0011 macrumors member

Nice find!! Guess the MBP I JUST bought won't last long. FINALLY we can have high end GPUs in our MacBooks!!!!!

8. john0011 macrumors member

I can't wait to do the same in a 13" :)

9. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4