Thunderbolt 3 peripheral compatibility nMacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by beccas, Mar 22, 2018.

1. beccas macrumors member

Hi,

I know that the nMP has thunderbolt 2 I/O but I have read that it can use Thunderbolt 3 eGPU using a T2-T3 adapter. Does anyone know if the nMP can use Thunderbolt 3 docks too like the CalDigit TS3 Plus? What about other Thunderbolt 3 devices?

Thanks!

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Good question. The T2-T3 adapter passes the thunderbolt protocols, not DP video or USB.

3. beccas thread starter macrumors member

4. chabig macrumors 603

You can use the CalDigit TS3 Plus just fine for peripherals. I doubt that an eGPU would work, though.

5. beccas thread starter macrumors member

6. chabig macrumors 603

Can what? Work? That's what I told you too. Regarding eGPUs, it says, "Apple has no current eGPU certified Mac systems." If you want to try it, go ahead. I simply said that I doubt it will work. But why not ask CalDigit first?

7. beccas thread starter macrumors member

The link I sent states that eGPU works fine. That is what I was referring to.

8. chabig macrumors 603

Oh sorry. I see that now. Go for it!

I was confused because you asked about the CalDigit TS3 Plus. You didn’t ask about eGPUs. The TS3 will work too, to give you more ports.

9. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Found this from https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-thunderbolt-dock/

10. beccas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I realized that I don't really have a need for a dock. What I am interested in is a T3 eGPU enclosure and T3 external storage drive. I am thinking it is better to get T3 devices so that I am future proofed for some time.

For eGPU, I was considering Mantiz Venus MZ-02 eGPU
    For external drive, Akitio Thunder3 Quad X

If anyone has experience with either of these with the nMP, please share your experience. I am still deciding on the purchases.