Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) > to > FW800 cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Sep 15, 2017.

1. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkie7

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

As far as I know, you are looking at either a double dongle, or a hub that has a FW port. Both will have reduced power (if you are running a chain, this could be an issue), although the TB2 hub I use does not have issues with a 3 HDD chain, and IIRC the double dongle will provide the same amount of power.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You need both, end-to-end.

To my knowledge, there is no "one piece" USB-c to firewire adapter out there.

A kludgy arrangement at best, but that's all there is, short of buying a thunderbolt 3 dock with a firewire800 port (expensive).

If you try it, how about getting back here and letting us know if it worked out?

4. killawat macrumors 65816

Yep, you need both, but it should work fine. I don't ever think you'll see a straight through cable and I wouldn't trust one anyway, who knows what Chipset they use. Apple TB to FW adapter is actually a pretty complicated device:

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkie7

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to get both - this will be my on the go/portable solution.

The OWC 13 Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock is too big to carry around - that can be in the studio. But it does have a FW 800 port..