Thunderbolt 3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FireWire2, May 12, 2016.

1. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Well, that IS very interesting -- Thanks!

I wish there were more details given -- the web page says "
    Thunderbolt 3 upgrade-able - all our thunderbolt 2 solution is upgrade-able to thunderbolt 3 in the future
    Please call us toll free, at (866) 982 3658, email to support@datoptic.com"

Sounds like a great idea... hope it works out that way. I have no experience with DATOptic Inc and haven't read much about their units (yet).

I did recently noticed that AkiTio is selling a Thunderbolt 3 version of their "Duo Pro" enclosure, but they specify that Mac OS X is NOT supported. I expect that's because there aren't any Macs with Thunderbolt 3 at this time. But I've wondered (a) is there a Thunderbolt 2 (computer side) to Thunderbolt 3 (device side) adapter that would allow it to work with my current iMac, and (b) might one of these "not compatible with Mac" TB 3 enclosures work with an assumed upcoming TB 3 equipped Mac?

3. dyn macrumors 68030

They probably use a separate circuitboard for Thunderbolt so all you need to upgrade to a newer version of Thunderbolt is to swap out the circuitboard. Almost all of the computerised machinery works this way. These kind of swaps are quite expensive btw!

4. FireWire2 thread starter macrumors 6502

FireWire2

Base on DATOptic tech support - you can call them too - their designed is modular based, therefore any component can be change and upgrade. The new TB3 price range about $350~$750 and they even offer upgrade service!

I would happy to pay $500~$600 for upgrade my Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3, rather than entire box, which would cost me 1000's dollars and hours of backup and restore data

I think there should be such device because Mac is the leader of thunderbolt

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

OK, that makes sense. I don't know why, but I was thinking they were talking about firmware-upgradable (i.e., no new hardware)! I guess that's really hoping for a miracle!

Yeah, for the size/price of these, it sounds like a good option. I'm only looking for a two- to four-bay unit, so these would be seriously overboard for me.