Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
When do you think we will see the likes of thunderbolt HDD cases and other simple goodies come to market. Because Apple has exclusivity on the TB deal till next year does it mean they have to approve any vendors wishing to make TB peripherals for the public? I know there are supposedly a couple of TB products on the way but any more news would be welcome.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
LaCie and Promise have said Q2. Computex looks like the timeframe for TB accessories to be demoed and released.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
When do you think we will see the likes of thunderbolt HDD cases and other simple goodies come to market. Because Apple has exclusivity on the TB deal till next year does it mean they have to approve any vendors wishing to make TB peripherals for the public? I know there are supposedly a couple of TB products on the way but any more news would be welcome.

Apple does not have exclusivity on Thunderbolt. I don't understand why this misconception is still around. They had a headstart by working with Intel. The only thing stopping everyone else from making accessories is their own engineering teams.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I want to know also. I hate it when a new port, or whatever, comes out and just sits there like a useless limp weenie.

Not even a peep. :rolleyes:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
This reminds me of the wait for AirPlay speakers. I guess there are a few out there now, but they are mostly high end. Same with AirPrint - is it still only the dozen or so HP models? Seems kind of ridiculous that 3rd parties have been so tepid in their support for Apple's stuff, considering the absolutely huge market out there just waiting for it.

I'm guessing the wait for ThunderBolt accessories will be similar to that for AirPlay speakers. It will take quite a while, and when the products do arrive they'll be fairly pricey.

One thing that would really speed this up would be a ThunderBolt port in iPhone 5. Now that would get things moving along.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The difference is apple does not own thunderbolt. Thunderbolt was made by intel and has the support of many many tech companies although I cannot remember their Names now they included the likes of Sony and more!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
When Thunderbolt goes mainstream in the Windows pc market there will be a lot of accessories.

stationstops

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
Probably soon. It was announced fairly recently; it's getting to the time where peripherals should start to hit the market.

Without anything to actually connect it to, Thunderbolt is really nothing more than a (buggy) DisplayPort.

Forget that the devices aren't here yet - since Apple is the only one supporting the port on computers, its guaranteed that everything from cables to hubs will cost 2x-3x as much as USB 3.0 counterparts and be guaranteed to never connect to our PCs for years.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The difference is apple does not own thunderbolt. Thunderbolt was made by intel and has the support of many many tech companies although I cannot remember their Names now they included the likes of Sony and more!

I agree!!!

If this were an Apple only product I could see reason to be skeptical, but this is not the case.

Seems quite a few manufacturers of diverse equipment backgrounds are working on gear. At least INTEL attributes theses quotes to others .....

"Welcome to the future, Thunderbolt technology enables the fastest and simplest I/O for connecting AJA's award-winning professional video capture and playback products to your laptop."
– John Abt, CEO, AJA

"Thunderbolt technology is connectivity without compromise and will enable the full promise of Symphony I/O, Apogee's professional digital audio recording platform."
– Betty Bennett, CEO, Apogee

"We are very excited by the capabilities of Thunderbolt technology. To have two 10Gbps, bi-directional, multi-protocol channels in a single cable is a great step forward for high performance audio and video solutions."
– Max Gutnik, Sr. Director, Product Management, Avid Technology

"Thunderbolt technology will revolutionize mobile media creation. It's a game-changer and will accelerate our ability to build the highest quality video creation products that are affordable to everyone."
– Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic

"We are excited about Thunderbolt™ technology and feel it will bring new levels of performance and simplicity to the video creation market"
– Hiroo Edakubo, Group Executive, Video Products Group, Canon Inc.

"Thunderbolt technology is a breakthrough in I/O technology and represents the future of mobile computing. Soon you will be able to carry all the power and functionality of desktop environments in compact devices."
– Philippe Spruch, Chairman and General Manager, LaCie

"Pegasus family storage products will be blazingly fast with Thunderbolt technology, consumers and creative professionals alike will experience a remarkable leap in performance."
– James Lee, CEO, Promise Technology

"Technology like this only happens about once a decade. We are thrilled about the performance and simplicity Thunderbolt technology will bring to our award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform."
– Bill Putnam, CEO, Universal Audio

"Western Digital believes Thunderbolt technology will bring both new performance levels and simpler connectivity for consumers to access and enjoy their digital media in new and innovative ways."
– Dale Pistilli, VP Marketing, Branded Products, Western Digital Corporation

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
Without anything to actually connect it to, Thunderbolt is really nothing more than a (buggy) DisplayPort.

Forget that the devices aren't here yet - since Apple is the only one supporting the port on computers, its guaranteed that everything from cables to hubs will cost 2x-3x as much as USB 3.0 counterparts and be guaranteed to never connect to our PCs for years.

Thunderbolt can do USB 3 with an adapter apparently so when we get our hands on one of those doobawackies existing USB 3 products won't be a problem for any TB equipped Mac.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Thunderbolt can do USB 3 with an adapter apparently so when we get our hands on one of those doobawackies existing USB 3 products won't be a problem for any TB equipped Mac.

I think that is one of the glories of TB ... a single port that with the appropriate adapter can do anything and do it extremely well from all the documentation I have looked at.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX

There are a number of products on the way. The one I am most likely to use immediately would be the Seagate goflex, as I already own several of their drives, and Thunderbolt connectivity would be just the adapter.

http://storageeffect.media.seagate....ex-to-adapt-to-apples-thunderbolt-technology/

Not sure the drives I have are actually capable of delivering the speed of Thunderbolt maximums, but....

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think that is one of the glories of TB ... a single port that with the appropriate adapter can do anything and do it extremely well from all the documentation I have looked at.

Thunderbolt is based on PCIe so it can provide anything what PCIe can, which is pretty much anything.

Not sure the drives I have are actually capable of delivering the speed of Thunderbolt maximums, but....

No mechanical HD is able to provide anything close to 10Gb/s. The fastest mechanical HDs top out at around 150MB/s while TB can provide up to 900MB/s in real world according to Intel.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Lacie are quoting Summer for their Little Big Disk both SSD and HDD

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549

Chilulu

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I understand the new Thunderbolt Display is kind of an IO hub where you can plug-in various FireWire and USB devices as well as a gigabit Ethernet connection and recharger--all with one TB/MagSafe Y-cable.

I already have a pretty decent DisplayPort-based monitor I want to use with my MBA, so I'm really hoping someone will make a similar device with just the IO connectivity (especially USB 3.0 and DisplayPort bypass of course). Is this wishful thinking?

mshahnoora

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Talked to my Intel Rep.

Hi All,
I recently discussed with my local Intel Rep. in Michigan regarding when the Thunderbolt Development Kit will be available for third-party companies. He mentioned it will be several months (possibly sometime early 2012) when it'll be ready, and he'll let me know when it has arrived.

Hopefully it's soon, as our company is tinkering with some cool ideas in-house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.