Thunderbolt accessories WHEN ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrwonkers, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

When do you think we will see the likes of thunderbolt HDD cases and other simple goodies come to market. Because Apple has exclusivity on the TB deal till next year does it mean they have to approve any vendors wishing to make TB peripherals for the public? I know there are supposedly a couple of TB products on the way but any more news would be welcome.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

LaCie and Promise have said Q2. Computex looks like the timeframe for TB accessories to be demoed and released.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably soon. It was announced fairly recently; it's getting to the time where peripherals should start to hit the market.

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Apple does not have exclusivity on Thunderbolt. I don't understand why this misconception is still around. They had a headstart by working with Intel. The only thing stopping everyone else from making accessories is their own engineering teams.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

I want to know also. I hate it when a new port, or whatever, comes out and just sits there like a useless limp weenie.

Not even a peep. :rolleyes:

6. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Thats what she said:D

7. unobtainium macrumors 68000

This reminds me of the wait for AirPlay speakers. I guess there are a few out there now, but they are mostly high end. Same with AirPrint - is it still only the dozen or so HP models? Seems kind of ridiculous that 3rd parties have been so tepid in their support for Apple's stuff, considering the absolutely huge market out there just waiting for it.

I'm guessing the wait for ThunderBolt accessories will be similar to that for AirPlay speakers. It will take quite a while, and when the products do arrive they'll be fairly pricey.

One thing that would really speed this up would be a ThunderBolt port in iPhone 5. Now that would get things moving along.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

That would be such overkill but oh so awesome!

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The difference is apple does not own thunderbolt. Thunderbolt was made by intel and has the support of many many tech companies although I cannot remember their Names now they included the likes of Sony and more!

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

When Thunderbolt goes mainstream in the Windows pc market there will be a lot of accessories.

11. stationstops macrumors member

Without anything to actually connect it to, Thunderbolt is really nothing more than a (buggy) DisplayPort.

Forget that the devices aren't here yet - since Apple is the only one supporting the port on computers, its guaranteed that everything from cables to hubs will cost 2x-3x as much as USB 3.0 counterparts and be guaranteed to never connect to our PCs for years.

12. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Great question ... Been wondering the same thing! Getting antsy ... My TB port is lonely!

13. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Which will make it worthless. Once something reaches the mindless drones who use PC's, it should be tossed into the sun as waste.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I agree!!!

If this were an Apple only product I could see reason to be skeptical, but this is not the case.

Seems quite a few manufacturers of diverse equipment backgrounds are working on gear. At least INTEL attributes theses quotes to others .....

15. TXBDan macrumors regular

Mindless drones, eh? *looks at your signature*

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your Macs use the exactly same hardware as PCs so feel free to toss them into the Sun.

17. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Thunderbolt can do USB 3 with an adapter apparently so when we get our hands on one of those doobawackies existing USB 3 products won't be a problem for any TB equipped Mac.

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I think that is one of the glories of TB ... a single port that with the appropriate adapter can do anything and do it extremely well from all the documentation I have looked at.

19. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

There are a number of products on the way. The one I am most likely to use immediately would be the Seagate goflex, as I already own several of their drives, and Thunderbolt connectivity would be just the adapter.

http://storageeffect.media.seagate....ex-to-adapt-to-apples-thunderbolt-technology/

Not sure the drives I have are actually capable of delivering the speed of Thunderbolt maximums, but....

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thunderbolt is based on PCIe so it can provide anything what PCIe can, which is pretty much anything.

No mechanical HD is able to provide anything close to 10Gb/s. The fastest mechanical HDs top out at around 150MB/s while TB can provide up to 900MB/s in real world according to Intel.

21. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Lacie are quoting Summer for their Little Big Disk both SSD and HDD

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549

22. Chilulu macrumors newbie

I understand the new Thunderbolt Display is kind of an IO hub where you can plug-in various FireWire and USB devices as well as a gigabit Ethernet connection and recharger--all with one TB/MagSafe Y-cable.

I already have a pretty decent DisplayPort-based monitor I want to use with my MBA, so I'm really hoping someone will make a similar device with just the IO connectivity (especially USB 3.0 and DisplayPort bypass of course). Is this wishful thinking?

23. mshahnoora macrumors newbie

Talked to my Intel Rep.

Hi All,
    I recently discussed with my local Intel Rep. in Michigan regarding when the Thunderbolt Development Kit will be available for third-party companies. He mentioned it will be several months (possibly sometime early 2012) when it'll be ready, and he'll let me know when it has arrived.

Hopefully it's soon, as our company is tinkering with some cool ideas in-house.