Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I was set to use the HDMI port on the 2013 Mac Pro with my current monitor, until i found out the mini display and thunderbolt connector are the same size. Is it possible to use any one of the thunderbolt ports to connect my monitor with a mini display port cable?

Thanks.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I was set to use the HDMI port on the 2013 Mac Pro with my current monitor, until i found out the mini display and thunderbolt connector are the same size. Is it possible to use any one of the thunderbolt ports to connect my monitor with a mini display port cable?

Thanks.

Certainly. Thunderbolt ports carry a Mini DisplayPort signal, so if you have a Mini DisplayPort adapter it will work in your Thunderbolt port.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I agree with this, I have a mid 2010 MBP, which has the mini display port, it is the same physical connection for thunderbolt, and when I read up on thunderbolt when it first came out, the display signal and connection is exactly the same, so, mini-display port was a pre-cursor for the full-blown thunderbolt standard.

So, whenever a display connection is referred to as thunderbolt or mini display port, they are completely interchangeable/identical. The only difference is that my '10 MBP only does displays with that port, nothing else (no thunder ;o).

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I agree with this, I have a mid 2010 MBP, which has the mini display port, it is the same physical connection for thunderbolt, and when I read up on thunderbolt when it first came out, the display signal and connection is exactly the same, so, mini-display port was a pre-cursor for the full-blown thunderbolt standard.

So, whenever a display connection is referred to as thunderbolt or mini display port, they are completely interchangeable/identical. The only difference is that my '10 MBP only does displays with that port, nothing else (no thunder ;o).

Correct, Thunderbolt was introduced with the '11 lineup. I have an '09 MBP with a Mini DisplayPort Connecter with a VGA adapter, and if you're wondering on credibility, I used the same adapter on a '13 MBA just yesterday, no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.