Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maila87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Does OS X support TRIM (yes, I know, that you have to enable on non Apple drives).

Thinking about GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter and mount my SSD Pyro 60GB drive. But what I'm afraid of is it's reliability without enabled trim.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
OS X does support TRIM and you can enable it for all (read: most) SSDs that support it viaTRIM enabler.

I'm not sure if that support extends to external drives. I suppose it could work with an eSATA drive since the system is interacting directly with the drive (well, more directly than Thunderbolt, FireWire or USB).

A quick Google didn't turn up anything definitive, but I think it's safe to say that getting an external ThunderBolt-connected SSD to work with TRIM is not realistic.

As far as reliability, as long as you don't do a huge amount of writes to the SSD, it should be fine. That said, different controllers behave differently; I bought SandForce-based SSDs for my Macs because the SandForce controllers have good garbage collection and tend to keep their performance over time even when TRIM isn't enabled... as long as you don't abuse them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.